working on a strategy rebalance mod- focused on having a small barracks

nickroa

hey all, just making this post to flush out some ideas. ive barley begun sifting through the SDK and have a lot of work ahead of me.

i hoping to re balance the strategy level of the game with an emphasis on the importance of individual soldiers. right now im working with a 10 man barracks, enough for 2 of each class. i feel a mobile HQ is more suited to a small black-ops-esque unit, ware a single loss is a massive hit to the cohesion of the squad. If we fought for actual control of territory, like say in Risk, than a massive army makes sense. but for how Xcom 2 plays out, where we are really just running around doing hood rat s#*! and causing a ruckus, it seems strange to have so many soldiers on the back burner. especially when the Vanilla content so heavily favors tactics which result in zero injuries.

a few things im focused on;

first will be changing the barracks cap, very straight forward once i find the correct file

having direct commander control over who becomes what. to that end im probably going the popular route of 0 rookie training days and a free GTS- probably coupled with skipping the first mission. i have seen issues with this, hopefully i can over come them.

i plan to make the psi-op class more easily acquired to help in the early game.- perhaps changing the psi-lab requirements to just a sectoid autopsy, and the additional psionics research providing access to some bonus

i also plan to implement a 100% bleed out chance- something ive already seen floating around on the workshop. this should increase the usefulness of the healer tree.

after all of this i might delve into combat changes i feel are suited to a small guerrilla organization attacking a world wide super power. on my own play through ive used mods which trigger all pod at once and mods which re conceal the squad. id like to get them to play nice together.

These sound like good ideas. A number of these are already implemented as mods, or one line ini changes. Take a look at steam workshop.

* Direct commander control: take a look at the "Commander's Choice" feature of "Second Wave Reborn"

* 100% Bleed out: search "bleed out" at steam workshop

* Number of starting soldiers: one line ini change, http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3816470-ini-question-for-soldier-pool-size-in-barracks/?hl=%2Bnum_starting_soldiers&do=findComment&comment=34869165

perhaps changing the psi-lab requirements to just a sectoid autopsy, and the additional psionics research providing access to some bonus

The Advanced Psi-Amp, perhaps? (Currently comes bundled with the Psionics research anyway).

Perhaps tie-in the "Second Cell" Upgrade of the Psi Lab into Psionics as well.