Idea: portable portals

iceroyale

The reason to use an object not a spell is - an object can be dropped by anyone, no matter what their magic ability. A spell has to be cast. Much like a scroll in pen and paper RPGs may be cast by anyone, a droppable portal object would be more in keeping for a thick-skulled barbarian type.

Of course this kind of thing is far more use in a world with working teleporters (example: Antaloor from the Two Worlds game).

Yeah, that's why I said an object and a spell are equally plausible in the Oblivion world. I was just pointing out that spells are far more common due to convenience of use.

Objects take more effort to create for the modder and are less convenient to use in practice.

(Don't shoot me if it's been done before)

I had an idea recently: why not create a set of portals that you can drop on the floor? This would allow you to set up a portal to anywhere you wish. Teleport location would simply be added to the B portal when you drop the A portal and vice versa. You could also include a dialog allowing you to name the portal. Ofcourse this wouls require several unique sets of portals since they'd probably get messed up otherwise.

Now before you say 'do it yourself', I must admit I have no experience in scripting whatsoever.

So there's been a lot of arguing about "is it plausable in a RP sense" and "which is easier, spells or objects?"... which is weird, because the original post doesn't ask about that at all. It's almost like, people read the post, decided for themselves that this isn't something they would want to do, and then set about replying with posts meant to convince iceroyale that he was wrong for wanting this, and that no one else should want to do it either. Seems kind of pointless and mean-spirited to me.

I personally like this idea, as I would love to have several portals set up in my giant castle home (which is huge and easy to get lost in, but that you can't fast travel from) that lead to various locations that don't have fast travel markers. I look forward to seeing a reply from someone willing to create this mod :biggrin:

:psyduck:

I could make something that will work, but since I'm not the one with the idea, how would I know exactly what is wanted? As I said, just making portals that you can carry around and drop is really easy, but the problem is scripting.

For example, it is extremely easy to make it so that the 2nd portal you drop is linked to the 1st portal, and vice versa. It's also quite easy to make the 3rd and 4th linked, the 5th and 6th linked, etc. But what if you want to be able to teleport between all the portals? This would require having a pop-up menu that asks which portal you wish to go to. But that menu would become extremely large and unwieldy, not to mention hard to script, unless there's a limit on the amount of portals you can have.

Also, how would you identify which portal is which? They all have the same name, unless you make each portal a different object. But then in your inventory, you wouldn't be able to stack them together... I guess you can try to just put the teleport destinations in the menu instead of trying to identify the portals. But what if you have a couple of portals in the middle of the nowhere? There's no real cell name... Is it fine to just call them Wilderness 1, Wilderness 2, etc?

I could make something that will work, but since I'm not the one with the idea, how would I know exactly what is wanted? As I said, just making portals that you can carry around and drop is really easy, but the problem is scripting.

For example, it is extremely easy to make it so that the 2nd portal you drop is linked to the 1st portal, and vice versa. It's also quite easy to make the 3rd and 4th linked, the 5th and 6th linked, etc. But what if you want to be able to teleport between all the portals? This would require having a pop-up menu that asks which portal you wish to go to. But that menu would become extremely large and unwieldy, not to mention hard to script, unless there's a limit on the amount of portals you can have.

Also, how would you identify which portal is which? They all have the same name, unless you make each portal a different object. But then in your inventory, you wouldn't be able to stack them together... I guess you can try to just put the teleport destinations in the menu instead of trying to identify the portals. But what if you have a couple of portals in the middle of the nowhere? There's no real cell name... Is it fine to just call them Wilderness 1, Wilderness 2, etc?

As far as I understand it, exactly what is wanted is: Objects in your inventory that you drop on the ground that are linked to one another, that you can click on to be teleported to the other portal in the linked set (i.e. a droppable door that looks like a shiny portal, that you could also pick up again).

Identifying which portal is which is easy, just give them names! Any sort of theme could work... colors (red portal and magenta portal are linked, blue and cyan portals are linked, green and emerald portals are linked, etc) is one way to go, or just completely made up names (Ragabaga 1 and Ragabaga 2 are linked, Berfkorl 1 and Berfkorl 2 are linked), or just numbers works too.

The destinations menu is kind of a neat idea. I doubt being able to stack the portals is a concern of the original poster (it isn't for me at least, the bag of holding makes it easy to keep your main inventory from being cluttered). As far as identifying them on the menu, I would go with portal names rather than the name of the location cell, for the reasons that you mentioned. The menu idea also actually cuts down on the number of portals that would be needed.

I believe somewhere between 6 and 10 portals would be an appropriate number. Unless of course it's possible in the menu to have an option to spawn a new portal item in your inventory at will (if this were the case, then you could simply name the portals with sequential numbers to keep things simple, which also means an unlimited number of portals could be created).

So basically, you start out with a single portal item, Portal 1. You drop that somewhere, and hit the Activate key on it, which opens the menu. The menu would have the options "Teleport" and "Spawn New Portal" and "Rename Portal". Teleport leads to another menu that lists all the portals you have. Spawn New Portal creates a new portal in your inventory. and Rename Portal let's you rename the the portal you just clicked on (if that's possible, that is, I don't think I've ever seen a mod open a dialogue box where you could type something in). If the last option isn't possible, then the user could always grab a piece of paper and write down which number portal is where (it's not really that much work).

You would certainly get an endorsement from me if you made this :thumbsup:

I just realized that I haven't tried testing this with random Oblivion gates. I think the mod might not work properly if you try to put portals in them. Unfortunately, I can't test this out myself since I've already finished the main quest, and I don't feel like playing through the game again.

I just realized that I haven't tried testing this with random Oblivion gates. I think the mod might not work properly if you try to put portals in them. Unfortunately, I can't test this out myself since I've already finished the main quest, and I don't feel like playing through the game again.

Putting one in a random oblivion gate sounds like pure crazyness anyways! Couldn't imagine even wanting to do that, so no problem there. I tried it out, and it works great! Good job! Will endorse once the site lets me. :thumbsup:

My only final request would be to make a version that uses big flashy looking portals instead of the platform (if that's possibe of course).

Also, question: If I use player.additem to add more portals, will the mod be able to use the additional portals?

:psyduck: