Bad UVs when importing FBX into Outfit Studio

Hi,

Hope I'm posting in the right section...

I'm running into some trouble while trying to import a custom weapon into the game. I followed this tutorial to get the mesh in-game:

After a few issues I managed to get the model in-game, but the UVs are still completely messed up, and I'm out of ideas on how to proceed.

• First of all Outfit studio v3.2 is not loading any OBJs like in the video. Only FBX seems to work for me.
  • Secondly, the moment I import the FBX file the UVs are imported incorrectly, and these issues end up in game.

Here's an example of the UV issue, left model is the correct one, right model is what happens when i import it into Outfit Studio:

(click to view the problem better)

As you can see some areas are streched, but the overall coordinates are broken as well, nothing matches the original UVs.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks!

Edit: i've managed to Import an OBJ by exporting from 3ds Max with everything disabled, but I fear this is causing issues because of bad smoothing groups, since the model now has clear normal map seams in-game...

Edited by Yogensya

3ds max and Maya somehow export different versions of fbx's, but when I export objs, they seem ok using the Autodesk Media & Entertainment preset. We probably can find the right settings for the fbx to export correctly and be handled correctly, but since the obj export works for me, screw it. [i looked at Maya, and I see the problem, it's using 2016 FBX, instead of 2014 for Zbrush...]

I've noticed that too about the UV's getting f'd up, but I thought it was Zbrush, which I found was not f'ing it up.

If I remember correctly, there's something going on about the ordering of the vertices that gets fk'd up, but I don't remember OS being the culprit. At worst I have to flip the texture map horizontal or vertical, my uv's stayed ok.

It's sounds stupid, but try about exporting obj or fbx with the Autodesk Media & Entertainment preset. I don't remember that I had to shut off smoothing grps, but a lot of times I set everything to one smoothing grp and that fixed the problem. Now I have to make something that has multiple smoothing grps for some hard edges, so I'll see if it fk's mine up too. There's also a setting for point grps in the obj export in Maya, idr if it's in 3ds Max, but that's turned off because of some Zbrush tutorial guy said so...maybe try that on and off too if it's there.

I like this uv checker the best:

http://imgur.com/ownIgkX

Edited by jeffglobal

@Ousnius Hey, while I am trying to learn PS, Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter and Designer, iClone, CrazyTalk, AfterEffects, Nuke sometimes 3ds Max...3 months in...now knowing it was ur program that was flipping the UVs, [Edit] wait...did I misread that!? uh oh. I'm both relieved and disgusted...

For QA/QI, after I pass an obj mesh thru OD to make a nif, it always puts a txt [65] in the name of the BSTrishape, which causes a CTD if I don't look for it and change it and it seems to consistently do that...so if you can check that out, it would help at least me...

I was playing with my latest wtf, this is gonna be a pain in the butt to learn set of sofware smackages, iClone or Character Creator, they had sliders like you do for Bodyslide...did they steal that idea from you, or you saw Reallusion stuff before. Either way, pretty cool.

A famous person want's to thank you Ousnius, from CrazyTalks 3D actors Studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVHiPAN-7Vw

A little creepy, ([Edit] ok a lot creepy, but you have to get there first before you can get passed it), but I think I got the white girls can't dance effect I was looking for...I go to great lengths to find ways to learn this stuff in a way that's as entertaining as possible...

Edited by jeffglobal

I'm still working on getting better at mesh editing/texture creation, so please forgive me if the answer is obvious: is there anything about exporting as an obj/fbx and opening that in Outfit Studio that is better than getting the nif plugin, and exporting as a nif (with property tweaks as needed in nifskope for things like translucency, basic/copied collision, and basic animation)?

In case it makes a difference, I have so far (and for the foreseeable future will continue to) only messed around with/created non-deforming meshes (i.e. no clothes/armor items).

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for the best program to do basic texture creation in, I would appreciate it. I'm trying to make a structure from scratch (and learning a hell of a lot of new tricks for 3ds Max that I didn't know before), and want to add several different metallic textures to different parts.

The OD exported nif has the branches made "correctly" which I still can't do from the 3ds Max export. If you use the OD to export a nif, you have to change the txt field of the BSTrishape it makes from [65] to anything else.

Well, I know a fbx can contain the texture information in the file itself, which can make for large files. Idt an obj can, though zbrush may have exported an obj with texture info, idr. All I know is, OD likes obj better than fbx, OR my settings are still wrong, but idts nowadays.