Companions in Skyrim?

AlbinoDunmer

I think that some missions will require help and maybe some optional quest will really require it. No matter how badass your character is its not really realistic taking on a giant mob. Also in oblivion sometimes it made sense. Like when you become the leader of a guild. In most of the guilds you could get a companion. I would have been disapointed if i couldnt use companions after becoming guild leader. Did it mean i used them all the time no, it just was realistic and imersing to have that power to command npcs.

i understand the companions can be a real pain in the ass when you have to babysit them, but if done right they can really help the player be immersed in the story of the game by seeing how very different personalties are effected by the world your playing in or how YOU affect them with you choices. Oblivion only offered cannon fodder and that made me sad, but if Skyrim can offer more in the form of companions with REALISTIC or ZANY personalties i think that they will find the game will only become that more immersible. and if you don't like companions, don't recruit them, everybody's happy.

I love the thought of not having to babysit the companions in Skyrim simply because they won't have a part in the story other than "I was that mercenary that helped that one guy" and they won't have personality. In any other game with companions that have developed personality, they end up getting themselves killed and making me feel like I just lost someone important because my play style didn't suit their horrid AI. In Oblivion, they got in my way and had bad tactics. They either moved way to much (putting them in my attack path) or not enough (which got them killed our foes). In Fallout, they usually gave away our position or didn't provide needed firepower (because whatever I saw was MY kill) or they'd get in my way (they'd usually get splattered instead of my initial target). I'm fine with how Mass Effect does it. I didn't have to babysit them and I liked the characters very much (or I hated them and wanted them to die, but I respected the fact that the developers made a character that made me dislike them for their attitudes rather than their idiocy). I was a little more accepting of the New Vegas system, but I still didn't want them taking my epic looking kills.

I agree that the A.I. for companions in Fallout series and the TES series are bad, but for me that is manageable. I would rather have companions in an adventure game than playing as the solo hero. I think I would definitely lose interest in the game halfway through if I played solo with no companions. That was the case for me in Morrowind, and Oblivion (without the mods of course). I just lost interest in both games, couldn't finish the game completely. But when I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas I just loved all the companions and their personality. I remember there was a glitch in Fallout 3 when it first launched that would let you have all the companions following you at once, and when Bethesda released an update that would fix that glitch and only limit you to 2 companions, I was so angry I turned to the Internet for mods that would remedy that fix. The first reason I started using mods was for companions than after I joined the modding community... it just consumed me. I couldn't play my games without mods especially companion mods. Don't take away my companions please:)

Chipndip you missed out on some goodstuff but i think you should open up a bit they aren't that essential... I mean bethesda has already confirmed you will be able to have numerous amounts of companions following you so you shouldnt worry there.

• 3 months later...

I really want companions, I think no epic tale is complete without a group of friends, love stories and legendary sacrificies.

A group of well made characters with her own personalities, stories and quest, such as in FONV. If they were romanceable as in DA would be even better. That would make the experience more fun, you would feel more like in a epic adventure if you have companions. And if you are a lonewolf and like to going solo...you have always that chance.

About the system...well, I'm fine with comapions as long as they don't die, like in New Vegas, characters who dies are a pain in the ass since they tend to die easly and do crazy actions. The idea of comanions is make your adventure easy and if they can die is the contrary because you must be sure they don't die, what makes things more difficult.

I remember how in Fallout 3 I expended more cures on the dog than in myself and how much times I reseted the game because the meatball died.

I really want companions, I think no epic tale is complete without a group of friends, love stories and legendary sacrificies.

A group of well made characters with her own personalities, stories and quest, such as in FONV. If they were romanceable as in DA would be even better. That would make the experience more fun, you would feel more like in a epic adventure if you have companions. And if you are a lonewolf and like to going solo...you have always that chance.

About the system...well, I'm fine with comapions as long as they don't die, like in New Vegas, characters who dies are a pain in the ass since they tend to die easly and do crazy actions. The idea of comanions is make your adventure easy and if they can die is the contrary because you must be sure they don't die, what makes things more difficult.

I remember how in Fallout 3 I expended more cures on the dog than in myself and how much times I reseted the game because the meatball died.

In Bethesda games companions seem to die very quickly and because of their stupidity which is why I hope in Skyrim you can heal your companions, have NO friendly fire, and I hope companions are a bit smarter. I think there is a good and bad side to your companions being killable....for one thing they would never die which means that you don't have to worry about them as much when fighting a group of enemies, buuuuuut then again if your companions never died you would never worry about them and it kind of takes away a connection. I think that if Bethesda wants to make companions killable they could at least give them more damage resistance and health.

I just want a companion for one reason

TO CARRY MY CRAP !

What it's hard to cast spells or swing a big ace when you carrying all this crap maybe even make it were you have to pay them to carry

Ooh I got a mod idea now I'll post it in the mod anticipation thread

Edited by crippledorphan