NMM Won't extract and install mesh and texture, only empty folders

SuspenseSmith

Here's my problem.

When I install a mod through NMM, everything works well it seems. For example, Alternative Start, Immersive Armor, and Enchanced Lighting and FX all take effect in game.

However, anything that adds or changes textures or meshes, such as CBBE, 2K Textures, and Better Females by Bella, will create empty Mesh and Texture sub folders with no actual files in them.

I am able to extract and install each mesh and texture file manually and it'll work. But there's a lot of textures to go through and I'd rather not extract and move each file by hand.

I have admin access to NMM and everything.

The only thing different is that Skyrim is installed on a second HDD since my primary C drive is only a 500 gb SSD that's filled with work programs. So the default path is different. But that shouldn't matter since I've specified the alternative path in NMM already.

Basic problem, NMM will not extract mesh and textures to main Data, only folders and extensions.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact problem, NMM creates the folders in the right places, but they are all empty.
This is driving me nuts.

EDIT: I actually got it to work by launching NMM with "Run as administrator"
Hope it helps!

Edited by r3korderlig

• 3 months later...
  • Run NMM as an administrator.
  • I don't trust 100% automated things, especially with big mods. When I have a problem, the manual install may be the solution. See here, manual install for a big mod such as Immersive Armors.
  • For the "big files" mods, rather download manually and use the add from file function than automated install. Make sure when prompted to overwrite the archive you've already downloaded by automated install in C:\games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods\. This is important this archive is healthy. If necessary, make also a manual install.
  • Make sure your NMM installation is healthy. Many updates since the beginning and problems may be the time to reinstall NMM. Make a backup of your load order.txt and your mod archives in this folder C:\games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods\.
  • Uninstall NMM properly and reinstall latest version.
  • Paste your backups, use the add from file to install your mods and import your load order.
  • If everything above don't resolve your problems, you may post a request in the mod manager forum or also find an answer there.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

As far as I can tell If you move/ install your game on a secondary hard drive the read/write permissions may interfere with the mod manager depending on inherited permissions, drive settings, folder permissions, account restrictions, etc. The easy solution as it was stated above is to simply run the mod manager as an administrator. Right click->Run as admin. It should allow the program to write all of the data. Mine was only transferring the (empty) file table as well.

• 11 months later...

Old thread but I may have something to add as I recently had this issue. Make sure the mod directory for NMM is in the same place as your Skyrim directory, as in the same drive. Nothing worked for me, until I reinstalled and NMM moved its mod directory to my main 2TB drive. Everything started working then.

• 2 months later...
My Solution. I changed to an SSD drive, and installed everything there including Nexus. It stiil did not work, textures and meshes not being installed correctly or at all. I tried everything, change permissions on SSD run as admin etc. I was sceptical of Mod Organiser 2 as the author moved to Nexus to create the new coming Vortex. I downloaded MO2 for Skyrim SE and boom, everything worked perfectly. MO2 installs mods to a virtual folder, not the Data folder. I am finding MO2 is working surprisingly great for SE, just like the old MO for Skyrim. I currently use it for Skyrim SE, but it can be used for other supported mods like Falllout 4. The older MO for classic Skyrim works on the same principle, virtual folders.

See a tutorial from Gopher here old but same principle

This is the forum for Oldrim. I think you want the forum for Skyrim Special Edition. It's much further down the list of games in the Nexus site forums, which is why a lot of people miss it.

I like Mod Organizer as well. As you said, you should use MO for Oldrim and MO2 for Special Edition.

For this topic, Goldwyv3rn above has the correct answer. The NMM Virtual Folder directory has to be on the same drive that Skyrim is installed on. NMM uses hard links and it can't make hard links across two different drives because Windows won't allow that (and it shouldn't).

This is the forum for Oldrim. I think you want the forum for Skyrim Special Edition. It's much further down the list of games in the Nexus site forums, which is why a lot of people miss it.

I like Mod Organizer as well. As you said, you should use MO for Oldrim and MO2 for Special Edition.

For this topic, Goldwyv3rn above has the correct answer. The NMM Virtual Folder directory has to be on the same drive that Skyrim is installed on. NMM uses hard links and it can't make hard links across two different drives because Windows won't allow that (and it shouldn't).

Goldwyv3rn answer might be the correct answer yes, but did not work for me, M02 worked for me, perhaps something in my system and my new SSD drive who knows, whatever works thats great, sorry I am in the wrong forum, thanks for pointing that out..cheers