Replay Value

Marcus Wolfe

How many games have good replay value?

Because I'd like to buy those games. I'm beginning to not like Age of Empires III The War Chiefs, it's just not doing it's RTS thing no more (pardon the extremely bad grammar).

This is the place to discuss not only which games have replay value, but how to make a game with good replay value.

Morrowind, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, maybe Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2... That's all I can think of at the moment.

To increase an RPG's replayability it would help to have multiple outcomes for quests, (some) freedom, and sidequests that you really have to find yourself, instead of being presented to you on your 'main quest'. A good character generation system and multiple styles (magic, stealth, melee) avaiable that allow you to make your character unique will also increase replayability.

It depends on what you want in a game. If you care about the story above all else, an rpg with multiple outcomes is perfect. If you like rts style games, intelligent computer AI so that they don't do the same thing every time. Multiplayer also adds a lot to rts replay value. There's no opponent more intelligent or more adaptable than another human player.

It depends on what you want in a game. If you care about the story above all else, an rpg with multiple outcomes is perfect. If you like rts style games, intelligent computer AI so that they don't do the same thing every time. Multiplayer also adds a lot to rts replay value. There's no opponent more intelligent or more adaptable than another human player.

A variety of modes is always nice, and the possibility of using a wide variety of tactics- I found with Age of Empires that it was too simple- you just built a load of units, right clicked on the enemy town centre, and sat back to watch. There was no advantage to be gained from trying to outflank the enemy, or surrounding them, which I thought was pretty boring.

I think it all boils down to variety. The more of it a game has, the more fun it usually is to replay. Problem is, if you've played Morrowind and/or Oblivion, you're not likely to find anything else that comes close in terms of replayability (at least in my opinion). I think Oblivion is the most re-startable game ever made, with Morrowind a close 2nd.

If we're talking strictly RPGs, then as mentioned, the KOTOR series is excellent for replay value. If we're not talking strictly RPGs, I like the Silent Hill series. I've replayed Silent Hill 3 about 4 or 5 times. Those games are loaded with hidden symbolism and wierd/disturbing imagery, and some of the coolest weapons/abilities can only be had on your second or third play-through. Just my opinions of course :)

If we're talking strictly RPGs, then as mentioned, the KOTOR series is excellent for replay value. If we're not talking strictly RPGs, I like the Silent Hill series. I've replayed Silent Hill 3 about 4 or 5 times. Those games are loaded with hidden symbolism and wierd/disturbing imagery, and some of the coolest weapons/abilities can only be had on your second or third play-through. Just my opinions of course :)

I've never played KOTOR (I want to), but I believe the greatest rpg is Baldur's Gate 2. There are multiple possibilities as far as the main quest, side quests, and the npc romances.

I agree, Baldur's Gate 2 is damn good, but boy KOTOR gives it a run for its money. Honestly, I think it's a disservice to either game to rank one above the other. They are both two of the greatest RPG's ever (one could certainly make a case that they are *the* best two, and I'd have a hard time disagreeing). Though I like a couple others almost as much. Any self-respecting fan of RPG's or games in general owes it to himself (or herself) to play KOTOR. I know people who hate Star Wars, but love that game.

Archived