Rocket: Mini Boomer Child Companion

Cyberweasel89

I do not care if babies for all I care are rocket scientists, or top gun pilots ably to fly a wiener sausage that's been chewed at by a Bronto that has malaria and pisses nuclear vinegar.

I can even dig a foul mouthing kid.

But sexual directed humor/remarks/... should be simply avoided in this project.

That is all to me....

So...... you're saying a ten year old, who grew in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, can in no way be precocious for her age?

And.... you're saying that a ten year old, who grew up as one of the Boomers, a group of vault dwellers who specialize in massive firearms and high explosives, can in no way be an expert in the field her ancestral people specialize in?

Well, if you say so. While the point of her is that she's an explosives expert, we'll have to do without the silver tongue. No references to sex, as unrealistic as I find that. I really can't imagine her being a deadpan snarker without immature sex jokes, insult humor, comments dripping with cruel sarcasm, and a foul mouth. Does anyone have suggestions for a new personality? I think we should go for something different. Cheerful or shy isn't something I recall in the past two Fallout games.

But as has been wisely said, we're clearly forgetting the setting here. Kids don't grow up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland the same way they grow up in 1950s timeless quasi-futuristic organized society.

In further developments, she needs a real name, even if it only comes up in dialogue. Since none of the vanilla companions are Asian, and I love ethnic diversity, it would function well. Any ideas for an Asian name? I'd offer some, but I don't want to be accused of being a weeaboo.

Why does it have to be a child? Maybe a coming of age Boomer looking for a change in her Routine?

Sex and Children is just creepy and should be avoided completely

It will all come down to the person makeing the mod, perhaps instead of a little girl a mid teenager may make people/maker more comfortable.

Do I want a little girl taging along with my guy make sexual comments about people getting it on or the whole process? No, not really that would make him rather weried out and alittle uncomfy.

A little girl running around cussing up a storm? Sure he would think its funny as heck.

Why the difference? Well because children having sex no matter the place or time should never be encouraged, and if he stumbled upon a culture that introduces kids to sex he would put a bullet in all the adults heads and drop the kids off somewhere else. Cussing is kinda inevitable in real life, it is something we can all relate to so it is less taboo.

What about South Park? Plenty of children making sexual comments in that. They sure didn't avoid it there.

I'm an enormous South Park fan but I also know a lot about kids. I have no objection to you wanting what you want. However, if your position is that South Park kids are in any way representative of real children you will lose the argument. Even the South Park kids have admitted to one another that they don't really know what is going on with sex, except for Kenny, who tends to clue them in, but only because his parents talk about it in front of him, but the others, who are raised by parents who don't tell them anything, don't know the details. So, if you can prove that the Boomers are an openly sexual community and are talking about it openly in front of this little girl, then yes, her knowledge of sex and her ability to make jokes about sex will make sense. Otherwise it will be jarring and nonsensical and just seem tacky, trashy and as though you are adding sex inappropriately and without any point to a 10 year old child and other people using the mod will wonder what is the point and what is the point of being so sexually obsessed with a 10 year old. That's a real hot point around here.

Here's what I'd say about it in a general way: Any time you want to add personality traits to a character they need to be sensible and need to be organically derived. Throwing them into a character just because you've decided you want them won't sell with your audience. You need to have details in the character's environment that supports them. I would strongly recommend that you either make your character older for the sex stuff or introduce sex into the environment so that there is a reason for her to be knowledgeable. But then the question would be why aren't the other kids spouting the sex sophistication, so perhaps she just needs a parental figure who is obviously sexually free with her, maybe a prostitute since those are commonly seen in the game.

I think the explosives expert thing seems like a great idea. Like Hit Girl in Kick Ass. She was about that age. Why can't we believe that she's been trained since infancy to know how to do these things?

In fact, a little over the top styling to her personality sounds like what you are going for anyway, right?

:) llama

The whole "what about South Park" argument isn't valid. The characters in South Park are comedic and hardly fit our perception of children. They're caricatures, designed to make you laugh, put to the screen with an art style that isn't about to make your heart grip for Kenny every time he dies. This, meanwhile, doesn't pander to that style of humor. It's funny in a lot of ways but it's not going to support kids making sex jokes, any more than if someone decided that Hitgirl from Kick-Ass, which this seems a zany spin-off of to me, should make a bunch of sex jokes... then the movie would've likely never made it past censors.

To be blunt, having a "surprising knowledge of sex" would add nothing to this character beyond creeping out a very wide audience, including myself and the people who watch me play this game on occasion. Remove that and you have a funny character that has a lot of merit... add it and you're pushing boundaries and buttons for a lot of people, and not in any sort of good way.

won't sell with your audience.

I think we would both be surprised here, sadly.

But I do agree over the entie line that 10 years and sexual knowledge are a big nono.

Even the li'll fraggle in Kintergarten Cop "boys have a penis, girls a vagina" was somewhat creepy, lol.

Funny, since the kid was saying something, whilst having a big question mark floating around, he clearly didn't know what he said.