Oblivion Crashing...

RavveN

Hey ppl... I have some problems with oblivion... It crashes when i try to change video options and i can't exit the prison. I don't know why i never had that problem with it -.-...

Soo any suggestion what could it be?...Tnx

-RavveN-

First stages to us helping:

Post this info here:

Operating system version

Oblivion version, install location, and any official addons (Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, DLC modules), including type of instal (Disk / Steam / Impulse / D2D)

Any Unofficial patches installed.

Any expansion utilities installed (OBSE, OBGE, etc)

Full mod list in spoiler tags, ideally exported from OBMM or Wrye Bash and showing mod load order.

Also any recent changes - updated drivers, service packs, whatever.

OK, first thing to do is move Oblivion... :rolleyes:

Windows 7 has this wonderful thing called UAC - User account Control - aka "that poxy thing that asks me if i want to take a 50:50/phone a friend / ask the audience every time I touch the PC"

If Oblivion is moved to a different place, such as c:\games\oblivion, then UAC is not enabled for that location, and you can get things to work much more easily.

Guide to how to do it is HERE. Please note that just uninstalling and reinstalling may not shift all the registry values, and can cause problems later.

Where you got Oblivion from is an essential bit of info - as some versions are encrypted and will prevent the use of certain mods, and require patches from specific locations to update.

Best video setting will most likely be the native setting (resolution) of your monitor. Trying to set it higher than that will cause problems, setting it for wide screen when you don't have wide screen looks bad, setting it for standard width when you have a wide screen will leave dark bars on either side. Also, it works better in full screen than windowed mode.

I reinstalled oblivion in c:\program files\bethesda softworks....

But i still can't change video settings ...I dont get it?

I reinstalled oblivion in c:\program files\bethesda softworks....

But i still can't change video settings ...I dont get it?

Which was precisely where we said DON'T install it ... :wallbash:

Sorry i dont understand :/

I quote from my post above

Windows 7 has this wonderful thing called UAC - User account Control - aka "that poxy thing that asks me if i want to take a 50:50/phone a friend / ask the audience every time I touch the PC"

If Oblivion is moved to a different place, such as c:\games\oblivion, then UAC is not enabled for that location, and you can get things to work much more easily.

Guide to how to do it is HERE. Please note that just uninstalling and reinstalling may not shift all the registry values, and can cause problems later.

If you put it where I suggest, everything is MUCH easier.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Or, you could turn off the UAC. What this has to do with changing the video settings, I don't know. Normally, when you see the first menu (the one that says play, options, etc) you select options, and your given an opportunity to set video. Most of the time, it will give you something about "can not detect...", ignore that. The highest resolution your computer is capable of will normally be at the bottom of the list. However, you will first want to check what resolution your computer is actually set to (mouse over thing that says "ati" or "nvidea" in the notification area in the lower right corner of your screen) and set the oblivion setting to that, or the one that's closest to it, without going over.