Oblivion Crashing...

RavveN

Or, you could turn off the UAC.

UAC is there for a reason. Turning it off DOES leave you more open to malware, and other "interesting" additions to your computer. It's a bit like disabling your car door locks because you have to use them to unlock the doors and "it gets in your way" - then complaining when your car gets stolen. :wallbash:

UAC is there for a reason. Turning it off DOES leave you more open to malware, and other "interesting" additions to your computer. It's a bit like disabling your car door locks because you have to use them to unlock the doors and "it gets in your way" - then complaining when your car gets stolen. :wallbash:

Not if you have decent security. If the number of people that have physical access to your computer is less than two, turning off UAC is fine. Just make sure your internet security suite (whichever one you prefer) is on.

Not if you have decent security. If the number of people that have physical access to your computer is less than two, turning off UAC is fine. Just make sure your internet security suite (whichever one you prefer) is on.

Well, it's your computer...

... but for most people who are not 100% computer savvy, and still have the antivirus that came preinstalled on the PC, possibly even updated occasionally, UAC is a good thing to leave on.

Well, it's your computer...

... but for most people who are not 100% computer savvy, and still have the antivirus that came preinstalled on the PC, possibly even updated occasionally, UAC is a good thing to leave on.

The only thing UAC does, if you're the only person using the computer, is make you take 2 extra steps to install your malware. It serves no purpose what so ever on a non shared computer. The reason you have a virus is you installed it. If you have UAC, you right clicked on the disguise package and clicked "run as administrator". (The disguise package is one reason why it's not a good idea to torrent games, movies, or music).

If you let it updated on it's predetermined schedule, the preinstalled anti-virus is generally OK as far as anti-virus goes. You will also need a firewall, disabling remote access (or at least put a 16 character password on the remote access), a 16 character password on windows itself (the password is not "password") and making sure certain ports are blocked when you are not specifically using them. (That part is beyond most users, but there are several utilities to help). The reason you use a 16 character password is so if the hacker has an automated password cracking program, it takes more time than he's willing to spend, and he moves on to the next victim. If, however, he's targeting YOU specifically, and he has the skills-none of the above is going to stop him.

I'll stick with my advice above - move Oblivion. There are stage by stage instructions above, and it leaves the rest of the PC working as Microsoft intended.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok..Giving advice without knowing what your hardware configuration is exactly, is like shooting in the dark. For example

I play Oblivion GOTY with between 140 and 150 mods. I play it on 2 computers

#1)

i7 950 watercooled

12 gigs ram

gtx 550 Ti nVidia card

3 HP h2207 HDMI monitors

Oblivion home directory c:\programfiles (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion

OS = Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Rig #2

i7 920 stock cooler

6 gigs 1333 DDR3

gtx260 nVidia card

2 21.5 Acer monitors

Oblivion home directory same as above

Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit

Uac is untouched, have tried game in seperate directory under the root C:\ and have experienced no difference. When I played the game in my Office where the 2 computers are located,

I experienced multiple CTD's (crashes to desktop) and got into the habit of saving often. I have 3 icons for oblivion on the desktop,

Oblivion (icon points to Oblivion EXE)

Oblivion Mod Manager ( easiest way to manage mods for new players)

And OBSE Launcher which I use to start the game.

The only time I use the Oblivion EXE icon is to set the video resolution, when you launch the exe file (DO NOT START GAME THIS WAY) it will attempt to figure out what your resolution and video card is, but most of the time it gueses the card but not the resolution. The native resolution of your monitor is what you need to know ie...my 21.5 inch Acer has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050 anyhting else selected will give emediate crashes. My wife uses a 42 inch plasma TV for Oblivion and we set the resolution with nVidia control panel and use that figure to set the resolution in Oblivion. The only other use we make of this Icon is to make sure an .esp file is checked off.

There are 2 other programs that can be usefull,

Tes4 load generator 2.2

OB_Saves.exe to manage saves

I have made one important observation, when playing in a non airconditioned room the CTD's increase tremendously as room temps increase, but when the room is kept at a constant 74 Degrees F. Then CTD's all but disapear. Both computers are in High air flow cases and have a minimum of 7 to 8 120mm case fans. After I installed the ac unit I have actualy played 8 hours with out a single crash. Now I know this is only my experience's but everything works.

ALSO your load order is very very very important, load order conflicts can give you a very bad game experience, that is why I use TES4, it checks to see if it can find a conflict.

Without knowing what your equipment is, coming up with a fix is almost impossible. If you could put this info in your post, it might be lots easier to give you advice.

Also, you need to install "ALL" patches and updates for Oblivion and you may want to allow Oblivion to have administrator rights for all it's executable files, also try adding everyone to user rights in security and give everyone full controll, as long as you are the only one using this computer and have good internet habbits and up to date Virus and malware programs running. also make sure your user account is an administrator account.

Thanks

G

Edited by Roguespear