G.E.C.K Doesn't close

pitvenin

Hello all,

I have a very annoying problem with geck. It loads up, I can edit, I can save, BUT when I try to close it, it freezes and remains like this. The problem is I can't even kill the dam thing. I've tried several methods to kill it (with task manager, with different kill process programs, command prompt commands etc etc) nothing works. I have to restart my pc every time I finish editing to have it closed. This is very frustrating X( X( X(. PLEASE if anyone has an answer...HELP ME!!!

These are my computer specs:

Processor: 2.93 Ghz Intel Pentium Dual-Core

MotherBoard : Gygabite G31M-ES2L

RAM: 2 GB DDR2

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4650

P.S. I also don't have any music background in new vegas but on a similar computer with 3.06 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 and Nvidia Geforce gt240 every thing works fine....

Edited by pitvenin

I noticed this with GECK when I first used it, but waiting for a few minutes allowed the program to finish working and close. However, since 2GB is a fairly low amount of ram to be using these days it is possible that all or most of it is being used to load up the FalloutNV.esm file, whatever mod you are working on, plus all the windows 7 services which eat up around 500mb of memory just on their own merit. I would honestly suggest that you just try being patient with it, remember that it's development software and it has a lot of loose ends to tie up. If you're endprocessing it from the task manager after saving changes, you might even corrupt your NV install. I really have to suggest having some patience with it.

The rams on this computer is the same amount as the one at home it's not the ram... I know that I must wait a few minutes for it to close( I waited 30 minutes give or take 5)...the program works, because it does save the mods, I can edit the files, I can play the mod...no problem. But after saving is done and I try to close it, it won't close. I know I can corrupt the files, I don't care...i just never met a program that I cannot kill with any methods, that's why it is very frustrating.

If it's hardware, then definitely it's because of the video card and/or the processor, because I even have the same motherboard on the other computer and same type of rams. Another difference between these two would be the OS, the one at home has Windows 7 Ultimate...so I really don't get it. In reality it should work better on this one because it has dual-core processor, the cards are almost alike and the game does, I get very smooth frames running on high details. i just can't figure it out why can't it be killed...could it actually be the OS to blame???

P.S. : Oh the maximum amount of rams used when g.e.c.k. is opened and viewing a cell I noticed, is about 1.6 GB...so again I don't think rams are to blame here...

Edited by pitvenin

newbie suggestion here i see you say your sure its not a ram issue but , have you tried increasing the size of your virtual ram ?

maybe even try a spot of house cleaning in the registry just cleaned mine and got a distinct improvement from the gecks loading and exit performance

It's not just g.e.c.k that does this, same thing happens with the game launcher if I try to change some visual settings...so now I suspect that it has something to do with the video card. I will try the registry cleaner suggestion, as for ram, if the other computer as 2 gb rams also and with it there is no problem, why the hell would the size be a problem here?? where the processor is better?!...it's the same amount for the same game....As for virtual ram, my total paging file size is 20 GB Edited by pitvenin

How many items are you selecting in the geck? There are custom settings for the GECK ini files that you can try, Power up GECK mod may also help. Try just loading the data Main files and you work esp as only active plug in and see what happens. Edited by ccmechanic2

Well after 3 days of searching for an answer...I give up..don't know why the hell is getting stuck or what's the cause but there is no point in search for an answer to something if i can't find the source of the problem..Thanks anyway for the replies