Oblivion NOT RESPONDING

Dandalf

Ladies and Gentlemen... We need to face the facts that Oblivion just plain crashes... it's not the video or any hardware issues beyond the minimum ram etc. The plain facts are that this program has been crashing since it first came out and continues to do so even today. After all my years in computers I can say this, that this for me is one of the best RPGs EVER! It is just too bad that Bethesda didn't get programmers good enough to build a stable product. I am not going to post all the bragging junk about my hardware but to say I have more than enough RAM capability and the CPU is QUAD CORE and the video is DVI strong, under Win7. I am running about every resolution I can think of to no avail, as it is definitely the program. So, we need to stop all the fix this and fix that ideas and realize that it is just poor programming. My hope is that SKYRIM will have resolved all of these issues and will run great right out of the box. I'm tired, frustrated, but still excited about Oblivion but I just can't play it (again) anymore as it is so messed up.

...and the CPU is QUAD CORE...

...whish is pretty much irrelevant for Oblivion, as it's written for single core processors.

Agreed, Oblivion can be a little unstable - but a few simple adjustments and a couple of mods have made it at least as stable as any other game on my PC - if I get more than one crash every couple of days, gaming 2-3 hours per evening, then it's very unusual and often down to a new mod I'm trying and haven't set up right.

I also agree about Skyrim - it will (hopefully) be crashproof out-of-the-box - but I'm not holding my breath. The company I work for writes software to run on Win7, and has found that it has a few slightly dodgy areas under the hood still, so instability may still be there if you push the game engine.