Daggerfall: Elder Scrolls II

KennethKarl

I played it on dosbox. Took me quite a while just to figure out dosbox. But I played maybe about 10 hours worth. It has some pretty interesting quests, but the dungeons (not the first dungeon) were the most insane mazes I've ever seen. I got lost in one for four hours. I gave up after that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep an eye on

, an open source engine replacer project for Daggerfall. Compatibility with modern OS's, support for larger draw distances and other graphics improvements, mods, etc.

It's actually called XLEngine now, since the guy is merging the code for several open source engine replacers (Daggerfall, Star Wars Dark Forces, Blood) into one.

Edited by Povuholo

Keep an eye on

, an open source engine replacer project for Daggerfall. Compatibility with modern OS's, support for larger draw distances and other graphics improvements, mods, etc.

It's actually called XLEngine now, since the guy is merging the code for several open source engine replacers (Daggerfall, Star Wars Dark Forces, Blood) into one.

That sounds like a very large undertaking. Would I still be slinging swords at 2D monsters?

I didn't like it, probably because I tried to play as a mage but I only had enough magicka to cast two spells which almost always got resisted and then I would have to resort to swinging my staff.I tried other things such as making a cheaper magic damage spell that I could cast five or six times but it didn't do much damage and was resisted a lot. Edited by Corakus

Keep an eye on

That sounds like a very large undertaking. Would I still be slinging swords at 2D monsters?

Yes, but modders may make the textures look sharper. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrzfMf5Hho4

What does DaggerXL run on? DosBox?

DaggerXL runs on its own on windows XP, Vista, 7, etc. without DosBox.

NICE! Thats great to hear. I hated starting up Daggerfall on Dos, It took longer than other dosgames, there was more to type. Is it available? I don't know why I'm so interested.

What does DaggerXL run on? DosBox?

DaggerXL runs on its own on windows XP, Vista, 7, etc. without DosBox.

NICE! Thats great to hear. I hated starting up Daggerfall on Dos, It took longer than other dosgames, there was more to type. Is it available? I don't know why I'm so interested.

A new version was released just yesterday, but the project is not finished yet. I'm not sure what features it has exactly but I think you can already explore everywhere and kill things. I don't know if the leveling stuff is already in, and quests definitely aren't.

Edited by Povuholo

• 2 weeks later...
I still get nightmares from Daggerfall dungeons time to time. Its these damn sound sfx used there you walk in corridor a secret door opens, you hear it turn around and a skeleton screams at you. Gah I almost had an heart attack and lets not start with elder vampires, you walk down corridor turn a corner DEATH and somebody glides over your body. Still then there are the uncommon scares, like failed to pick up a side quest from barkeeper and his nice get killed. The barkeeper curses you, you exit from tavern to pitch black night. Only to be greeted by the dead nice who promptly slays you. Seriously at some point I refused to do undead dungeons in Daggerfall, it was especially bad when playing at dead of night. So now all my chars have phobia to undead, well for Daggerfall only Oblivion does not cause these kind of goose bumps thankfully. As for Daggerfall it one of my favorites, you can spend so much time there and once your hooked, your hooked for life.