Immersive Interiors Add-on

DingerDan

@MarkInMKUK

Maybe start with something more simple :P Sounds even more complicated than I thought.

We should try it out on one house, see how it looks by day & by night, then see if it's worth applying to more :)

@MarkInMKUK

Maybe start with something more simple :P Sounds even more complicated than I thought.

We should try it out on one house, see how it looks by day & by night, then see if it's worth applying to more :)

Maybe Wawnet Inn? That has a couple of windows to use. the problem may be having identical windows that are not synchronised - otherwise they'll flicker in time and the shadows will pass in time too.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I wouldn't get too hung up about flickering. Candles & oil lamps don't flicker in still air unless the wick isn't trimmed (candles) or the wick is turned up way too high (oil lamps). A candle would flicker in a draught though (if a door was opened for example, or someone walked past it).

An open fire would need a flickering effect in the room.

I have a feeling that all this would lead to FPS hell, although it would be impressive if it could actually be implemented. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't get too hung up about flickering. Candles & oil lamps don't flicker in still air unless the wick isn't trimmed (candles) or the wick is turned up way too high (oil lamps). A candle would flicker in a draught though (if a door was opened for example, or someone walked past it).

An open fire would need a flickering effect in the room.

I have a feeling that all this would lead to FPS hell, although it would be impressive if it could actually be implemented. :thumbsup:

I don't think it'd be too tricky to add the object reference as a trigger for flicker, but yeah, as you said, if umteen of those scrpts run at once it could give most processors a hard time.

I'll be perfectly honest here, I really wouldn't recommend even trying something like this.

Say you go down the "picture" route. You'd have to make a special, rounded type picture or it will look flat and fake, this will obviously be a bit fiddly to do. Because of the different views available, you'll have to take a separate "interior view" picture for every single window on every single building, then create a separate mesh for every one of these. Think, 3-4 unique picture meshes per building, every building. That's a ridiculous amount of work, and a ridiculous amount of meshes and objects you'll need.

Even if you do that, you'll then have to modify every exterior building mesh and change the windows so you can see through them for you to then be able to place the pictures. This is also a HUGE amount of work. Not only that, but you'll need to manually place every single view on every single window. The manpower to do all this would be simply impossible to be honest.

The reason Immersive Interiors can work even with mods is because the interior cell is pretty much always the same, mods very rarely change the interior cell structure. Sure, using Better Cities or such will make the views not match up, but you'll never get any conflicts inside the interiors. Exteriors change all the time. Think better cities. You'll have hundreds of random pictures floating in the wrong places because the mod changes all the building placements. So you'll need to make a new version for Better Cities. And a new version for OCR. See the problem I'm getting at? Even if you physically modify the meshes to add the pictures directly, you'll break compatibility with Animated Window Lighting System, one of the most popular mods of all time. That's not a good thing.

It's a nice idea. But pictures generally look a bit fake, and as shown the work required is absolutely huge. And any other methods, like using real meshes, would require even more work and would completely kill FPS.

Just my opinion. But hopefully it makes sense to you all.

I'll be perfectly honest here, I really wouldn't recommend even trying something like this.

Say you go down the "picture" route. You'd have to make a special, rounded type picture or it will look flat and fake, this will obviously be a bit fiddly to do. Because of the different views available, you'll have to take a separate "interior view" picture for every single window on every single building, then create a separate mesh for every one of these. Think, 3-4 unique picture meshes per building, every building. That's a ridiculous amount of work, and a ridiculous amount of meshes and objects you'll need.

Even if you do that, you'll then have to modify every exterior building mesh and change the windows so you can see through them for you to then be able to place the pictures. This is also a HUGE amount of work. Not only that, but you'll need to manually place every single view on every single window. The manpower to do all this would be simply impossible to be honest.

The reason Immersive Interiors can work even with mods is because the interior cell is pretty much always the same, mods very rarely change the interior cell structure. Sure, using Better Cities or such will make the views not match up, but you'll never get any conflicts inside the interiors. Exteriors change all the time. Think better cities. You'll have hundreds of random pictures floating in the wrong places because the mod changes all the building placements. So you'll need to make a new version for Better Cities. And a new version for OCR. See the problem I'm getting at? Even if you physically modify the meshes to add the pictures directly, you'll break compatibility with Animated Window Lighting System, one of the most popular mods of all time. That's not a good thing.

It's a nice idea. But pictures generally look a bit fake, and as shown the work required is absolutely huge. And any other methods, like using real meshes, would require even more work and would completely kill FPS.

Just my opinion. But hopefully it makes sense to you all.

I'm not sure about oblivion's engine, but with unreal2 you could place a 'camera' in a different space to create things like mirrors, couldn't we do something like that? Sorry if that sounds stupid. It'd probably still kill FPS, maybe not as much if we duplicate the interior space and remove all the cluttter except the essential items (e.g. for the best defense it'd be the 2 counters and a couple pieces of armor). Maybe there's a way to simplify it even more?

I realise I'm really grasping at straws here, but if this mod was to exist I don't think I would ever need another game.