hit a snag in 3ds max or later...

Kenmurikumo

So im converting some mass effect armors (for personal use only). When i load my game, the armor registers, but explodes and shoots off into space. i loaded the max compatibility skeleton in 3ds max (2009 64X with relevant[?] nif plugins) and rigged it and the whole shebang. Then tweaked it in nifscope then used tesconstruction set to do the rest. fired up oblivion only to find what i previously mentioned.

I have a moderate understanding of rigging and texturing in 3ds max. also tried every possibility with the nif export

I have a moderate understanding of nifscope. And it also shows up fine in nifscope.

Models were converted from smd to obj in milkshape then rigged in 3ds to be an oblivion nif

I've followed 3 tutorials and found 20+ more that were dead links or so old that they used the civ version of the nif exporter and unfortunately all tutorials were VERY vague.

And to top it all off my searching here has lead me more vague .nif related info that was far from helpful.

Please, I'm at my wicks end and would really like to just make content for myself and all the nice people on the nexus.