how to write/debug AI routines?

davidlallen

This command aidumplogs doesn't do anything for me. I tried both in quick tactical and in a real tactical. In both cases, I play a couple of turns of tactical; issue the command; play one more turn to make sure the log is flushed; and look in launch.log. There is no output related to AI there. Just the usual sort of log messages. Is there something else we have to do, before this works? This was from a save game with no mods loaded, FWIW.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This command aidumplogs doesn't do anything for me. I tried both in quick tactical and in a real tactical. In both cases, I play a couple of turns of tactical; issue the command; play one more turn to make sure the log is flushed; and look in launch.log. There is no output related to AI there. Just the usual sort of log messages. Is there something else we have to do, before this works? This was from a save game with no mods loaded, FWIW.

This only works when running the game uncooked. There is a ton of text being assembled and cached for these logs, so I'm pretty sure they are wrapped in NOT_FINAL_RELEASE precompiler directives.

I got it working by launching with the -NOSEEKFREELOADING commandline option. You may also may have had to make some change so that XComGame.u ends up in your Mods/<YourModName>/Scripts folder. But if you can run with run-time breakpoints in your XComGame.u, then I'm pretty sure it must be running the non-final release version.

FYI, what I do to run the game is create two new batch files within the XCOM 2/Binaries/Win64/Launcher/ folder, with contents :

ModLauncherWPF.exe -allowconsole -log -NOSEEKFREELOADING

and

ModLauncherWPF.exe -allowconsole -log -autodebug -NOSEEKFREELOADING

The first is used for regular uncooked running. The second is used for uncooked run-time debugger.

"if you can run with run-time breakpoints" is this possible?!

It certainly is.

You need to set up a new configuration in the ModBoddy VS Shell. Where it says Default, click and go into "Configuration Manager...". Create a new one copied from Default and name it "Debug". Build with the new configuration. I think if you hit Start Debugging (F5) it's automatically updated, but I generally have some batch scripts I used to launch with debugging :

ModLauncherWPF.exe -allowconsole -log -autodebug 

if I only need to set breakpoints in my mod code (it loads stuff faster), or :

ModLauncherWPF.exe -allowconsole -log -autodebug -NOSEEKFREELOADING

if I need to set breakpoints in XComGame or some other deeper package.

Note that the -NOSEEKFREELOADING tag runs with only uncooked packages, so all the Firaxis DLC won't load.