Updates on my scifi level assets.

CausticRKS

Holy Hell! :woot: that's some serious skill right there! :D

Now i'm even more sad that Fnv gave up on me :'(

I do get a notification on everything you post :) But i'm lovin' it! :D

That is some really nice texture work!

That's currently the kind of skill I'm working towards, not quite there yet.

Do you know any really good tutorials for that type of texture work?

Absolutely! http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html

Following these rules almost exactly, will keep you organized, and help you understand the importance of the normal and specular maps. UV Mapping however, that's even harder to grasp for most people. In fact, I struggled with understanding it all through high school. Then suddenly it hit me one day, and now it's my specialty. Now my classmates in college think I'm a freak of nature or something. I was on CG society one day... and I posted something about how I had a hard time understanding UV mapping, and that I would have to texture that robot. A member replied with "Sometimes you just gotta jump right in and get your hands dirty" and that's exactly what I did. Moving, sewing(very important to learn how to sew UVs together and reduce seams), and enlarging(NEVER stretch a face's UVs, always universally scale them.)

You want to utilize as much of the texture space as you can. You will notice this in the texture maps for things like the vanilla vertibird.

Another tutorial, this one being very in-depth, also seems to be fairly useful. This is important if you want to bake a high-poly to your low-poly model. To be honest, I haven't even done this yet. Nor have I even watched all the way through this tutorial. But this is definitely a good one that is easy to grasp, and you'll want to learn how to do this. I use Maya, not Blender, but the idea is still the same.

Now, even if you don't want to bake a high-poly to the low-poly, I've learned that creating an ambient occlusion map and baking it to your texture map really helps. It'll give you a good idea of where things are while you are working. Because going back and forth to see which UVs go to what, can be a pain in the ass. Googling AO baking to texture gives me this result. Strangely, this seems to be the same exact tutorial I bumped into in high school. So yes, it's old. But knowing how to do this is important! The steps may be different for other 3D software, so just search around for tutorials, and look around on youtube, especially.

Some other tips:

• Get a Wacom tablet. I don't even have one, but I've had the pleasure of renting them for a few hours at my community college, and they are AWESOME. You will find creating worn edge scratches becomes much easier this way. Using brushes with them period, is just freakin sick. ;p
  • Grab LOTS of scratch/grunge brushes for GIMP/Photoshop, or learn to create your own from other images.
  • The above tips are even easier if you purchase a camera recommended for taking high quality photos of surfaces to be used as 3D textures. Sometimes Google images and CGTextures.com just doesn't cut it.

Edited by Deadspine

Thanks. I'm actually in the final year of Game development. My program is mostly focused on code but for the final year we have a good modelling class.

Anyway I've been modelling for quite a while and have gotten pretty good at uv mapping. The biggest thing is the actual painting of the texture and that first tutorial link is exactly what I've been looking for!

My brother has a Wacom tablet he uses for drawing concept art so I will be using that.

I have some good grunge brushes but could always use more and I don't have any good scratch brushes do you know where I could get some good ones, most sites I've found just have the same sets. I find I can get some great grunge from the CGtextures decals section.

Anyway thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

http://home.kc.surewest.net/clminard/CommRoom.jpeg

A rather quick block-out of this Comm Room. This Topic will become inactive for a while, and I'll probably make a new one as soon as assets start getting textured. If you get updates on this topic, then I'll post another reply that links to the newer post.

Wish me luck,

Christian

If you get updates on this topic, then I'll post another reply that links to the newer post.

Wish me luck,

Christian

Yesh! Link please! :D

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Gahh. Okay. Well, I got a new graphics card. So I decided to do some Terragen stuff. Low polyfied it (maybe a little too much) and this is what I've come up with as a test. I plan on (in the FAR future) making a new worldspace for a planet-exploration thing, but I'm not sure.

http://home.kc.surewest.net/clminard/Dunes.jpg

I didn't put this in the Space Opera questmod topic, because I didn't think it would fit.