Question about Oblivion...

silentx3ro

Well your rig sounds fine to cope.

Well there is the official add-ons, Shivering isles,Knights of the nine and a load of mini quests and homes that are really good.

And like the other poster says,texture packs to make it all look prettier.

.....you'll get the mod bug, we all do.

I would suggest you look at Oblivion XP http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35333 which changes the levelling system....but its all down to taste.

Welcome aboard.

Silentx - if you haven't already done so, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Uofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Silentx - if you haven't already done so, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Uofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

Good info Thanks :)

I have UAC disabled anyways as it is the work of satan so hopefully it shouldnt cause any problems.

First thing I did after install was hunt down the most recent patch, force of habit!

The mods I have installed so far have all included read me's but I have already picked up on the pattern of where things go :)

The one thing I will ask is; Can any mod be made into an omod using OBMM or does it have to have a .elf file and/or omod conversion script?

I ask because I have a tendancy to install a ton of mods without noting where the files are going and often forget to backup folders before installing mods so it would be nice to be able to install all the mods I'm using in OBMM.

Sorry to keep adding questions to this thread but I'd rather ask them all in one place at the start than starting a bunch of new threads with noob questions...in my experience thats a quick way for face to meet banhammer! :)

Cheers

Good info Thanks :)

I have UAC disabled anyways as it is the work of satan so hopefully it shouldnt cause any problems.

First thing I did after install was hunt down the most recent patch, force of habit!

The mods I have installed so far have all included read me's but I have already picked up on the pattern of where things go :)

The one thing I will ask is; Can any mod be made into an omod using OBMM or does it have to have a .elf file and/or omod conversion script?

I ask because I have a tendancy to install a ton of mods without noting where the files are going and often forget to backup folders before installing mods so it would be nice to be able to install all the mods I'm using in OBMM.

Sorry to keep adding questions to this thread but I'd rather ask them all in one place at the start than starting a bunch of new threads with noob questions...in my experience thats a quick way for face to meet banhammer! :)

Cheers

Im a pretty recent player/user,and with OBMM i have found most mods can be converted....but not all.Some older ones and a handful of authors seem not to be fans of OMOD's

Edited by crudius

Im a pretty recent player/user,and with OBMM i have found most mods can be converted....but not all.Some older ones and a handful of authors seem not to be fans of OMOD's

Thanks, i'll guess I'll just convert them untill I break something then back track :)

As was said, MOST mods can be easily converted. There are a few that have a lot of install options that have never had the OMOD conversion done, or need to have certain parts renamed to work properly - those may be easier to install manually. Just be sure to keep a copy of the original zipped file stashed for reference if you ever do want to remove a manually installed mod completely.

As for UAC, that is a security feature. It acts to prevent a virus or other malware from making changes in programs - which keeps a virus from disabling your antivirus without you knowing it, or keeps a virus from taking over your computer and using it for DDOS attacks by making changes in the system programs. Again without letting you know. By disabling it you are making the malware writers job much simpler.

I do think that UAC is overzealous in what it tries to protect. In that there is no need to protect a game from mods. :rolleyes:

But as it only affects those programs installed in the 'program files' folders, it is very easy to just install those program that you don't want UAC to protect (such as games) in a different folder where you can have the best of both - UAC protection for your important programs such as system files, financial stuff and browser. while not allowing it to interfere with games or other programs that you want to make changes on (mods).

As was said, MOST mods can be easily converted. There are a few that have a lot of install options that have never had the OMOD conversion done, or need to have certain parts renamed to work properly - those may be easier to install manually. Just be sure to keep a copy of the original zipped file stashed for reference if you ever do want to remove a manually installed mod completely.

As for UAC, that is a security feature. It acts to prevent a virus or other malware from making changes in programs - which keeps a virus from disabling your antivirus without you knowing it, or keeps a virus from taking over your computer and using it for DDOS attacks by making changes in the system programs. Again without letting you know. By disabling it you are making the malware writers job much simpler.

I do think that UAC is overzealous in what it tries to protect. In that there is no need to protect a game from mods. :rolleyes:

But as it only affects those programs installed in the 'program files' folders, it is very easy to just install those program that you don't want UAC to protect (such as games) in a different folder where you can have the best of both - UAC protection for your important programs such as system files, financial stuff and browser. while not allowing it to interfere with games or other programs that you want to make changes on (mods).

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to train myself to keep the rar files for just that reason :)

I'm aware of UAC and it's functions but my gaming rig is for just that though, I keep all my important data on my laptop. Honestly I find it less inconvenient to have schedualled virus and malware scans run daily than have UAC switched on :biggrin:

Thanks for the tips though :)