Realistic exploration

AtlasS

I dont know anything about modding. So i do not know whether this would be easy, or hard. but i am a frequent in mod requesting for minecraft so i'm going to stick to the rules I follow there

I have most every mod i want for oblivion, and i know skyrim is coming out so a lot of you may not bother making medium-large mods anymore but here is my idea;

When exploring cyrodiil and you come across a new location it is added to your map and labelled its name, why? is your character secretly a super scholar who knows the world like the back of his/her hand? wouldnt it be more realistic to scribble a note on your map and get someone who knows the area to tell you what it is. E.G.

Vanilla oblivion; your walking around near bruma and discover Echo cave. its marked on your map as echo cave

This mod idea; your walking around near bruma and find a cave, you mark the cave on your map and when later in bruma, ask the porter of the fighters guild what it is, they tell you its Echo cave, and you update your map

I just feel this would be a whole lot more immersive in the exploration of the world. Fighters guild porters would know: Camps, caves, mines and Forts. Mages guild members would know: Elven ruins, Daedric shrines and landmarks. Settlements and Taverns/stables would be automatically labelled as their name is guarenteed to be around somewhere on them and Tar-meena in the mystic archives can name any of them, or even place the unexplored icons on your map(for some massive fee, like 800,000gp or something)

An extension of this idea is having to have a quill, ink and parchment in order to make a local map...

if anyone could do this, or knows of a(or a collection of) mod(s) that can achieve this effect, I would be greateful

Edited by AtlasS

I felt like that when I first played oblivion it was midnight had no idea of fast travel.no idea of world map I was wandering in circles in the imperael city. Found the of ill omen when I thought i was going north. And finally got pissed off becuase I was stuck on the quest " whom gods annoy i just couldn't kill those damn clanfear runts at level 2 Edited by TheEliminater

The only possible way of doing this unless OBSE has commands to do so is to place a second map marker at every vanilla one, and have the vanilla one initially disabled, and then having the new one named "Found Cave", "Found Ruin", "Landmark", etc... Then when you have someone do it for you, you have it scripted to have the player already have found the location, and disable the new one. Cities should be marked anyways though, because obviously you should know them.

In other words, if you know how to manipulate the game through the CS, its very easy to do, it would just take a day or two of spending hours looking for every map marker, initially disabling it, placing a second, naming it, and then you have to add new NPCs with dialogue choices to do this... It would be very time consuming. Not to mention all the conflicts you'd have with mods that change map markers.

If it is made, a nice feature would be to be able to buy maps that reveal a few markers that you cannot fast travel to yet. I may possibly get around to it, because it sounds like fun :P Maybe next week, or the week after.