Fallout 4 Survival Mode Beta

SirSalami

In response to post #36205495. #36206170 is also a reply to the same post.

xhaven wrote: So reading through the comments here I've come to the sad conclusion that most people are idiots :(
DamoclesVI wrote: Ha exactly, these people don't realize all their free mods do not demand official support from the authors themselves or Bethesda especially in regards to a Beta. Yet somehow they still find ways to complain about the icing on their cake.

I tried posting a logical explanation for why mods aren't loading properly in the beta (heavy changes to the ESM/P file formats, as Bethesda has alluded to), yet, no one really seemed to care, and continue to say Bethesda is lying on this regard. I think they're telling the truth, but, their refusal to elaborate on what kind of changes they made to the files has people jumping to conclusions. I'm sure once further decoding of the new ESM/P files is done, and FO4Edit updated in response to said decoding, mods will be working just fine again. Even then, mods are not officially supported yet, and this is a beta. Edited by austen1000

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36190375. #36201395, #36205860 are all replies on the same post.

Strokkin2112 wrote: I lost most of my Mods Wtf Lev 70 thanks

Eruadur wrote: *sigh*
xDeme wrote: It's April fools

I see reading comprehension is hard to come by these days. Beta tests are never the finalized product that are more or less use at your own risk. In other words you should thank yourself.

In response to post #36179015. #36184145, #36187930, #36192500, #36192925, #36198740, #36201355, #36205410 are all replies on the same post.

bben46 wrote:

I see a lot of garbage here from kiddies that just want the game to work the way they demand the game to work and have never done any legitimate testing in their life. BETA testing is NOT the playable game and is NOT intended to be the playable game. It is for TESTING purposes only.

If you don't want to help test the BETA survival mode, then please just disable beta updates on Steam.

If you insist on playing the beta with mods ( and figure out how) and it crashes - please don't bother to whine because they will just laugh at you for being so dumb as to think a beta test version was going to work as well as a released game.

IF you throw in a bunch or random variables (mods) then the test is invalid - that means you wasted hours of testing time that will be tossed as useless. Meaning that instead of the beta lasting 2 or 3 weeks it takes them 3 months to filter through the garbage from people that demand the test allow them to use mods. The intent of the beta test is to get a useful analysis of what really needs fixing. And if you throw in mods - or the quick fixes that the console allows the data is no longer useful, but just garbage.

The sooner they get the REAL data, untainted by random mods and quickie console fixes that allow you to keep playing instead of stopping and submitting a useful bug report the sooner they will release the actual survival mode update. :thumbsup:

hivKORN wrote: By your words, i hope they will fix problems from main game too and not only the survival changes! ;D
printerkop wrote: true, but since launch day there are a bunch of bugs in the game, which i adressed at the bug submitting page at Bethesda with a lot of extra information on my rig and the circumstances in which they occur in and screenshots and as much technical information i could give, i even know what the problems are, script errors and shader errors, and they haven't either bothered to fix them to this date, so how are we supposed to test a survival BETA if all the bugs i encountered haven't been fixed yet and still occur to this date ?

I develop games myself, and atleast half of the bugs i encountered must be easy to fix for an entire team of developers, but they just don't fix them.

Instead, like with FO3 and FNV those bugs are probably going to be fixed by modders later on.

I agree that mods should not be applied to a BETA test, but making a BETA before all the other problems are fixed is just unwise.
Zzyxzz wrote: "Instead, like with FO3 and FNV those bugs are probably going to be fixed by modders later on."

Yep, thats how it works today. To be very honest. They released the eat/drink/sleep feature, but its so f*#@ing bad. It's not even close to realism. Don't say, but it's beta. They already had this feature in NV and they weren't able to just carry it over. I call that very incompetent. Also they keep adding things in beta, which is also not the purpose of a beta. A beta is feature complete and is for testing the system. What they run is an alpha

Yes, people who want to test with mods... no words... but i also don't believe that they get any valueable feedback. I have looked into the beta thread. It's a mess.
Now you can argue about disabling the console, because you can hotload with console, which would destroy their plan. But disabling is also dumb because there is already a way to load mods (surprise surprise).

With a console we would be able to test their system even better, because we can tweak values, find the best values and report them.

And saving with sleeping... srsly... i lost faith in them. Fallout 4 is only playable in a realistic way with mods from this beautiful modding community. We can just hope for a solid game frame, but thats it
Kkatman wrote: I originally signed up for the Beta because there are bugs in the base game that the beta fixes. Having opted out of the Beta now that it disables mods, I find myself struggling with the same broken features that I joined the beta to solve... none of the fixes that the beta has implemented have been carried over into the proper game.
printerkop wrote: all the bugs i've seen are still there in the BETA, LOD loading issues up close, shaders messing up completely giving a lot of meshes rainbow colored noise patterns, scripted errors that result in messed up gameplay, collision problems are plentyful.. and so on..

They should fix that before adding new stuff imo.
Eruadur wrote: @printerkop

Did they patch all the mistakes in FO3/FNV before releasing the DLC's?

So why would they do that now?
printerkop wrote: No, one should never learn from his mistakes, you're right.

@printerkop

"No, one should never learn from his mistakes, you're right."

Says the guy who (apparently) thought Fallout 4's issues would be different from previous installments to the series.

In response to post #36205495. #36205950 is also a reply to the same post.

xhaven wrote: So reading through the comments here I've come to the sad conclusion that most people are idiots :(
austen1000 wrote: I tried posting a logical explanation for why mods aren't loading properly in the beta (heavy changes to the ESM/P file formats, as Bethesda has alluded to), yet, no one really seemed to care, and continue to say Bethesda is lying on this regard. I think they're telling the truth, but, their refusal to elaborate on what kind of changes they made to the files has people jumping to conclusions. I'm sure once further decoding of the new ESM/P files is done, and FO4Edit updated in response to said decoding, mods will be working just fine again.

Ha exactly, these people don't realize all their free mods do not demand official support from the authors themselves or Bethesda especially in regards to a Beta. Yet somehow they still find ways to complain about the icing on their cake.

In response to post #36205495. #36205950, #36206170 are all replies on the same post.

austen1000 wrote: I tried posting a logical explanation for why mods aren't loading properly in the beta (heavy changes to the ESM/P file formats, as Bethesda has alluded to), yet, no one really seemed to care, and continue to say Bethesda is lying on this regard. I think they're telling the truth, but, their refusal to elaborate on what kind of changes they made to the files has people jumping to conclusions. I'm sure once further decoding of the new ESM/P files is done, and FO4Edit updated in response to said decoding, mods will be working just fine again. Even then, mods are not officially supported yet, and this is a beta.
DamoclesVI wrote: Ha exactly, these people don't realize all their free mods do not demand official support from the authors themselves or Bethesda especially in regards to a Beta. Yet somehow they still find ways to complain about the icing on their cake.

if that's the case, then it's more serious than i thought. i thought it was meant to let players have better beta testing result for survival mod.

That's a bit rude. People are concerned because things are happening very differently than before and Bethesda are being pretty dodgy about the changes. It's entirely reasonable to be concerned about it. Beyond that, so far, every change that has made it harder to activate mods in previous Beta patches has remained once they released. That in and of itself is a reason to be alarmed, as they have never taken action like that before.

Who cares about survival mode, Bethesda games are about choice, hope they stop taking choice away as that will make it one of the many with no differentiation. Game difficulty choice should be like a constitution, never to be tampered with, if you want it, then select it in difficulty mode, if not you should not be hampered in any way.

This means only survival mode players must be affected by survival mode related issues, otherwise it is not BETA, then its ALPHA.

If the article on this page at the top does mean I don't have to unistall my mods if I don't play survival mode, it would be helpful if they say so - I've set my steam update options to alway keep my game up to date.

Just my 1 penny.

:)

Edited by jbMnemonic

In response to post #36213350.

jbMnemonic wrote: Who cares about survival mode, Bethesda games are about choice, hope they stop taking choice away as that will make it one of the many with no differentiation. Game difficulty choice should be like a constitution, never to be tampered with, if you want it, then select it in difficulty mode, if not you should not be hampered in any way.

Just my 1 penny.

A lot of people care about survival more. It's still a choice to use it or not, and simply adding survival mode took away no one's options.

In response to post #36213350. #36213465 is also a reply to the same post.

jbMnemonic wrote: Who cares about survival mode, Bethesda games are about choice, hope they stop taking choice away as that will make it one of the many with no differentiation. Game difficulty choice should be like a constitution, never to be tampered with, if you want it, then select it in difficulty mode, if not you should not be hampered in any way.

This means only survival mode players must be affected by survival mode related issues, otherwise it is not BETA, then its ALPHA.

If the article on this page at the top does mean I don't have to unistall my mods if I don't play survival mode, it would be helpful if they say so.

Just my 1 penny.

Sepherose wrote: A lot of people care about survival more. It's still a choice to use it or not, and simply adding survival mode took away no one's options.

Edited my post - please see above.

In response to post #36176290. #36185910 is also a reply to the same post.

Sebastianus wrote: I really like most of those changes, but I'm not going to participate in this beta.

1. Mods I have literally double the FPS count, eliminate stuttering and most other significant bugs that Bethesda never seemed to care about for a decade (only two gamebreakers I can't get rid off: hotkey switching and texture unloading).
2. Lack of fast travel is a no-go. There is a line between immersion "for fun" and utter annoyance. I'm not willing to waste 10+ minutes to get to that damned settlement, which can't defend itself with 200+ defense and 3 meter tall wall without my help.
3. Saving got gimped way too hard. This is just another annoyance, not immersion. Not to mention that since the previous patch I occassionally get completely random CTDs.

In other words, I'll wait till the "official" update and mods that deal with the unnecessary annoyance.
Snowskeeper wrote: Re: 1, Bethesda needs to be able to know, for certain, which problems are caused by the changes to the base game in Survival mode. Mods, even optimization mods, make that more difficult to verify without having access to all of your information.
Re: 2, I haven't fast-travelled in Fallout 4 as of yet. It's a small map, relatively speaking, and there's enough going on in it that I never felt bored during my wanderings. That said, I also usually have an audiobook or podcast on in the background, so that's probably making me a little more tolerant of it.
I don't know what you mean about save gimping. I'll have to find a more complete version of the change log.

EDIT: Yeah, save gimping is bad; hopefully they change that.

I'm not stupid.
I can see the reason behind disabling mods in a beta update, but that's also a major reason I'm not willing to get it.
Plus, they are still to clean up after their last stunt with mod tampering, so I'm not holding my breath here.
On the other hand so far all "beta" updates went "official" without any changes.

The map is cramped to the point navigating it (which doesn't have a "search" function) is terribadly awful.
Finding anything in the Boston's "downtown" is pretty much impossible without comparing Pipboy with a location's image from the wikia.
Plus there is literally nothing worth of value, except for XP for re-visiting places and killing the same enemies over and over again. Edited by Sebastianus