Fallout 4 Survival Mode Beta

SirSalami

In response to post #36103560. #36103720, #36104685, #36105455, #36105805 are all replies on the same post.

mcchuggernaut wrote: Damnit, Bethesda! Modders are smart enough to know if something is wrong with their game to disable their mods first before blaming a patch! This is just an extra pain in the ass for modders, not actually useful. *facepalm*
mcguffin wrote: modders? maybe, but mod users are not.
Darkarhon wrote: ^^^
ZombieArron wrote: Woah, not everyone is an idiot. People can draw lines. what was working before beta points towards it breaking a mod that was fine before. People can just turn off said mods or opt-out of Beta. End-users are not all children. Keep an open mind, man. It's that kind of thinking that got us this restriction in the Beta.
mcguffin wrote: just look at some answers. most CTD or Crashes are actually caused by mods that were unistalled unproperly.

Ok, even if mods needed to be disabled, which I don't really agree with, the console being disabled DEFINITELY wasn't necessary, and not clearly stating pre-download that this patch would disable mods and the console was pretty stupid.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #36105510. #36107130, #36108145, #36111230, #36111695, #36111880, #36112075, #36112165, #36112205, #36114300 are all replies on the same post.

Uthuriel wrote: https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2952

Bethesda disabled the console in the "new" survival mode

good job -.-
HippeusOmega wrote: Yeah I was really suprised by this. I get they don't want gamers cheating but console is used for a lot more then cheating.
Zaxen069 wrote: wow that ..... sucks console to fun to mess with i mean i use for testing out mods i DL or if i feel liek fighting a bunch of npc's or something guess we'll have to wait for modders to renable it
calleb666 wrote: Console yeah, how many games give you this console option? The number close to zero. They obviously had their reasons to disable it, stop whining already
starfis wrote: Was it confirmed by someone official that the console is disabled as part of the Survival overhaul and not just as part of beta testing? I know they didn't disabled it during previous beta updates or during Automatron prerelease, but maybe they want to know what can happen without console interfering similar to disabling mods. If it truly is a "feature", this beta and all that crying about it may simply prove them that disabling it is not best idea. Cheating in singleplayer game is ruining only my own experience, if this is their only reason. And in the end, enabling console will probably take a second when the CK is released next month so who really care.
jet4571 wrote: And wait until you get stuck between 2 static objects and cant get out. No TCL command to get unstuck. Good Job Bethesda!
Skramel wrote: Yeah, cool, but clipping in stones and walls though...
Skramel wrote: don't be ridiculous. There such thing as "trainers", you know? But bugs and glitches still in this fn game, but now without console
popcorn71 wrote: On the one hand, I can understand Bethesda wanting to ensure that their beta test environment is 'clean' and reduce the amount of false bug reports brought on by irresponsible modding.

On the other hand they will never be able to test the robustness of their code without testing it real world situations (ie: with mods and console). I wouldn't want to be them when they finally decide to open up mod to consoles...
Tantalus010 wrote: @popcorn - At this point, I'll be extremely surprised if full console modding ever happens. I think a lot of console players expect it to, but I think Bethesda really only intends to deliver simple mods like recolors. I mean, how will modders mod the console version? On PC and then port the mods over? On the consoles themselves? If on the consoles, then how? Bethesda's tools have always obviously been designed solely for keyboard/mouse. How will scripting work? What happens when consoles start crashing/freezing/bricking because of poorly scripted mods?

All I'm saying: console modding is going to be a far more complex undertaking than most realize. Maybe even more complex than Bethesda realizes, given that they jumped whole hog into the paid modding scene for Skyrim without thinking it through very well. Less than 24 hours after release, there was a legal issue.

kiss quality screenshots goodbye

Really excited about this.

I only played FO:NV on Survival mode / Very Hard. Still that was fairly easy once you knew the ropes and where to find the good stuff. The added realism by the additions mentioned in this announcement should be even better. On paper it reads like a perfect open world survival sim.

There's only so much realism before a game isn't fun anymore, though. Curious about how the inability to fast-travel will affect the looting part of the game. If I'd have to decide to leave behind good stuff all the time it might sour the experience quite a bit. (And everything not nailed down can be considered 'good stuff' when you look at settlement building needs in this game).

In that sense, limiting fast traveling to (only) between your settlements connected with supply routes might be a slightly more gameplay friendly alternative ...

At least for modders it will open a whole new range of possibilities & inspiration.

Pack Brahmin & portable sleeping bags! We shall need them :)

Edit: Also curious if they will implement changes to the settlement attacks: kind of hard to respond in time without fast traveling in the current system. Anyone already figured that out?

Edited by dikr

At first I was hesitant to opt in to the survival mode beta without mods or the console, but the more I thought about it, I was like hell yeah lets give it a try. I want to be a part of helping refine the overhaul once it gets its full release.

I have played thru FO4 four times, through all 4 faction endings and the DLC 3 times. There was not much left for me to do. I have played the beta 3 hours and it has refreshed the game for me. I am having fun!

You know, I know that the update is a beta, and as such I expect Bethesda to do something to ensure people testing it have a pure experience without mods or cheats, but hear me out on this other side:

Last time a beta introduced an automatic disabling of mods, that persisted into the main branch. That begs the question, will the disabled console and mods aspect carry into the main branch this time around?

I'm genuinely concerned with this, as it seems more and more like Bethesda is locking down modding in general, and with purpose.

I have to say I am a little disappointed that mods are disabled. I understand why they did it but I am kind of forced into starting a new game to play the beta since I won't be able to progress in my current game without losing a hundred hours of OCD driven settlement crafting.