Gauss Rifle Silencer

DireReverend

Well, in fact it's so trivial to just make it so the NPCs don't hear it, that you can do it yourself. That way you don't need to ask when you get some other idea for a silent gun.

Get the GECK ( http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/geck.php )

Launch it as admin, so you can write in the Data directory. Load only the FalloutNV.esm and if the weapon is from some DLC, the .esm for that one.

Find the gun you want to change. Double-click it. Go to the art and sound tab. Set the detection level to Silent. Hit ok.

Save. You'll be asked to supply a name for your new mod, so pick a good name.

That's it. Congrats, you just made your first mod.

Caveat: this will make ALL weapons of that type silent.

Or, make a duplicat, edit that, save under your name, it will ask if you want to make a new item, push yes.

Then open location X (where X is your location you desire, for instance "GSDocMitchellHouse" (in interior cells), pick for instance a container, and place item Y in there.

This way you do not even have to place it on a surface.

Continue from there on as Morealin advised.

Technically, a Gauss Rifle should be silent in the first place, as the slug never touches the barrel, and if there were any noises, it would most likely be from the sonic boom of the slug or the electrical current flowing through the magnetic coils.

Anyway, like Moraelin said, edit the GECK entry.

Technically, a Gauss Rifle should be silent in the first place, as the slug never touches the barrel, and if there were any noises, it would most likely be from the sonic boom of the slug or the electrical current flowing through the magnetic coils.

Anyway, like Moraelin said, edit the GECK entry.

'Technically, apart from this thing that makes a loud noise, it should be silent'.

Also electrical discharge can notably get quite loud. I'd like to point you towards, for example, thunder.

Well, I guess nobody ever made a gauss gun worth beans, so it's really a fantasy weapon anyway. So if someone's imaginary gun is silent, who are we to say that it's not so? I mean, it's like someone telling me that my imaginary cat isn't tabby :P

Well, I guess nobody ever made a gauss gun worth beans, so it's really a fantasy weapon anyway. So if someone's imaginary gun is silent, who are we to say that it's not so? I mean, it's like someone telling me that my imaginary cat isn't tabby :P

Yep, which is why you don't try and make arguments like 'Technically...'- they're irrelevant.