Bloom: yes, HRD: yes ??

chakaru11

Well. they say every lucky streak has to end someday, right?

After being able to play without tools like Wrye Bash etc and still being able to add any mod I wanted without a hitch today my game commited spectacular suicide. And the thing is: I GOT NOTHING! I have NO idea what the HECK is going on. I didn't even do anything and it just... died.

But let me start from the beginning.

Last night I made a slew of recolors for one of my eyesets, but was too tired to put them ingame. Everything worked fine up to that point. TODAY I opened the CS to add the eyes. Easy.

Then I clicked o the OBSE loader and the game did start, but it was minimized in the task bar. That happens every now and then, mostly after accidentally alt tabbing out of the game before. No big deal.

Easy solution: Delete your ini file, start the game, re-set your graphic settings, done. Yup, that's what I thought too.

So I deleted the ini, started the game and loaded a save. I always do that when the wretched "game starts minimized" thing occurs, because you need to load a save and edit your graphics settings from THERE to make them stick instead of juts using the main menu. So I loaded that save and got a warning window from the Air Fight System. I always get that, it's just a little window telling me that a few kf files are conflicting - it's an unnecessary warning which can be switched off in the air fight system ini, but up to now I was too lazy to do that.

So that warning pops up and usually I was able to just click it away. Well. NOT today. I was able to move the mouse and saw the little golden arrow cursor - but I could not click on anything. The warning was in the middle of the window and I could not click it away. So I used esc and afte rthat the keyboard arrow keys to close Oblivion. (NOT the task manager or anything.)

After that I started Oblivion again to set the graphics from the main menu.

And there I found the first oddity:

Oblivion happyly showed me this in the list of ingame graphic settings:

Bloom: yes

HRD: yes

o_O.... WTF? THAT Is not possible. You can't have both.

And there I made the first mistake: I didn't dare to edit those two settings and just loaded a save.

BAM, the save crashed. No surprise.

I deleted the ini again and started the entire dance AGAIN and this time HDR and Bloom did act the way they should, meaning

Bloom: No

HRD: Yes

Fantastic, NOW we can load a save.

OR NOT.

Every single save now crashes on load, I can't even do anything.

After that I tried a lot of things (since I have Brittany's lush and gaudy stuff I ran archive invalidation again, I even overwrote my OBSE files to get a fresh loader exe, EVERYTHING I could think of.)

The saves still crashed - and a new game did, too. I could not do anything.

After that I lost it and reset everything so that NO esp was activated except for the vanilla ones. So basically just the basegame, no mods.

I still can't start a new game, it crashes on load. I don't even get the introduction video anymore.

Someone told me a while ago that she/he had happen that too because OBSE had gone haywire. How on earth does that happen and what can be done to prevent this?

I need help, people >.<

Edited by chakaru11

Wow, I've never heard of Oblivion going completely haywire like that before. That sucks. However, I can tell you that, by default for some reason (I think if it detects your system is very good), Oblivion starts with both Bloom and HDR enabled, which must be fixed. Did you check your AA settings? (HDR can't run with AA on, but it might've glitched and not disabled it automatically.) Are you using forced settings on your video card? Did you delete your INI properly, then reinstall mods? (Some mods must edit the INI to work.)

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you may need to reinstall.

Also, why do you have KF files conflicting? Aren't those animation files? That could be the cause right there.

Did you try running the game without using OBSE? Did you try reinstalling OBSE? Are you sure you didn't overwrite anything you shouldn't have when you made your mods? Have you tried using BOSS or Wyre Bash to help? These are all shots in the dark, but you never know.

Edited by rinoaff33

Hi :)

The kf file message is just a dummy message from the Air Fight System which pops up by default, it doesn't actually do anything or hurt the game. The message can easily be disabled in the Air Fight System Ini, but I was too lazy to do that. The mod itself works fine.

I do enforce AA with my GPU normally and never really disabled that when I had to reinstall Oblivion.

I already ran a complete, clean reinstall and the game worked fine with SI and the latest patch installed. But as soon as something custom made is in the data folder, BOOM. I can't load saves or even start a new game, since it crashes to desktop on load. So something in my old custom content must be corrupt, I don't know what else could be causing this.

The only chance I see is to reinstall AGAIN to get a clean Oblivion folder and then install every single mod from scratch to see what happens. Since I have like 40 GB of stuff which is customized to hell and back by myself... YARGH. That will take weeks. Sigh.

Thank you so much for answering!

You're still not using Wrye Bash then, specifically v292? Because that's causing some oddness with a lot mods with cbash being on by default.