Meshing and Texturing Tutorials for Beginners (AKA Newbs/Noobs/Nubs)

KennethKarl

I've been modding FNV for a good 6 months now. I've been making personal mods like settlements and recipes. I have other aspirations. The real mods I want to make are far more advanced than simply changing a weapons damage points. I want to make mods that require meshing and texturing, two things I don't know how to do. Everything I've learned about the GECK I've learned myself, so I'm not asking someone to hold my hand through it (Cause we all know that's not going to happen). I would like to know from someone who is experienced in this field where a good place to start is. Even better, how did you start.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there! Well, you're right in the fact that no one can really hold your hand through figuring out how to learn this, as it is kinda a tricky one to learn on its own with instructor help, let alone over the pc!

But, if you want to get into modelling and texturing, I suggest getting a program like 3ds Max, Maya, and Photoshop. you can use free alternatives such as Blender instead of the 3d modelling programs, and GIMP in place of Photoshop, but be warned, the interfaces can be a bit trickier to elarn and figure out.

- This video link is the first part in a beginner series of tutorials for getting started with Maya, which is what I and my college use for modelling and animation.

If you need more video sources, feel free to message me and I can probly come up with a few more for ya, or as always, google is your best friend :)

My suggestion would be just to get a few programs, look at a few tutorials and jump in, just muck around till you feel comfertable, Like for me i made a random rocket launcher gun cannon thing first thing i ever did looks horrible but that dosent matter

if you are staring for fallout just make a weapon mashup

My suggestion is too lean how to extract models and textures, learn how they work. Then start mucking see what you can come up with, try to get it to work ingame and show off to people in the forums they will guide you and help you if something is wrong usally