made a simple values edit mod (I think) and the editor recognizes it, NMM(sort of) does but it doesn't load

tartarsauce2

I'm using NMM and FO4Edit
I used a trick?tutorial? I found on youtube
I right clicked in FO4Edit and selected "copy as new record into" and then made a new file <new file> and renamed it "armor rebalance mod" and it's an esp file
all I tried to do was change damage resist and energy resist values for super mutant skin, feralghoulglowing skin, feralghoulreaverarmor 1-3
and metal, leather, raider, combat armour, synth armour and both helmets, supermutant armour, and a few other small pieces (it's a small test attempt at changing some values so that the game's armors feel more varied and will be useable later game for different purposes better I've only changed DR and ER)

I copied each of the armor files into the mod file I made via said trick from youtube, got a warning about changing the name or something, but I just used the already-existing name, could this be the problem? I checked the other mods that alter those kinds of things and it didn't seem like it

now, NMM I've managed to get to recognize the plugin exists in the plugins tab of NMM, but it's not in the mods section at all, and I cannot install it or get it installed either via the "add mod from file"
furthermore, FO4Edit does not bring up the file when I "attempt to alter" values for armor in the fallout main ESM or addons (not actually changing anything just getting past the warning where the editor shows the mods that reference the file, like a new dawn, DT, fallout.esm etc) - my esp thing is completely considered as separate

I have no idea what I'm doing really, which is why I tried to keep it simple for now
somehow I still managed to make a plugin mod that gets ignored upon loading the game

also, the game crashes when I try to mod a receiver but I think that's because I started changing profiles and some of the things I took off were weapons mods and so on
and at some point I managed to make the game crash when it should load the opening video piece
umm... uhh... I didn't change anything except remove some stuff from the load order with the mod manager

Edited by tartarsauce2

When I make an esp and copy it from my laptop to gaming tower for testing, NMM only lists it as a plugin. When I publish the same esp on Nexus and download it from the site, then it's listed as a mod.

As for the crash issue, can you recheck the disabled esp boxes or did you delete them?

I'll go through this step by step because there are a couple of things to mention.

I right clicked in FO4Edit and selected "copy as new record into" and then made a new file <new file> and renamed it "armor rebalance mod" and it's an esp file

So you need to understand the difference between 'Copy as new record' and 'Copy as override'. What you're wanting to do is take something that already exists in the game and change it. This means copying the file as an override. If you do that then your new file will replace any record that's earlier in the load order.

Copy as new record is when you want to reuse some of the details from another record, purely to save yourself some typing when the original is almost what you're looking for. New records won't change things that already exist in the game. It's making something new. This won't do anything unless you follow up in other places to make sure that the new record you've created is actually used somewhere. Further advice on this gets too complicated to explain in this post.

got a warning about changing the name or something, but I just used the already-existing name

This is a problem. Firstly, don't ignore warnings in FO4Edit. It's a smart program and knows what it's doing most of the time. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, why FO4Edit is objecting and why it's wrong, follow its instructions.

You created a new record, i.e. something different, and gave it the same name as something which already exists. This is a problem. If this were an override though, you'd want to keep the same name because it's meant to replace it.

NMM I've managed to get to recognize the plugin exists in the plugins tab of NMM, but it's not in the mods section at all

As ThoraldGM mentioned this is normal for an .esp or .esm file on its own.

and I cannot install it or get it installed either via the "add mod from file"

If you want to be able to do this, take the .esp file and add it to a .zip archive with whatever name you want to call the mod.

my esp thing is completely considered as separate

This is because it's a new record, rather than an override.

I didn't change anything except remove some stuff from the load order with the mod manager

You probably removed a file while keeping another mod on your list that depending on that file. This causes crashes to desktop.

Hope that information helps.

thank you, I'll try that
SUCCESS! thank you, I managed to make a raider armour baseline be 30DT 15 ER (just for obvious testing purposes)
AND I managed to figure out what values are what for DR and ER on the tempered modification for raider armor, and get it in the load order so that valdicil works properly to show it although the basic armor value itself gets over-ridden by a later mod that affects it but not modifications ( compatibility to get it to load after and still retain its sorting icons from valdicil etc is beyond me still but baby steps once this is solved... yay)
I'll make this and then try a DT thresh-hold alteration to them as well for independent usage

there was a different video showing the same process (something about bathrobe to testrobe)
I thought I was doing step by step that, but I did new record instead of override, I managed to hard reset the situation by deleting mods into recycling bin, uninstalling any plugins, uninstalling NMM and all associated files etc etc, then reinstalling it and just using the mods I knew were safe already (cause I know they're standalone to the process) - oldschool nuke and repopulate stuff using some care
had a glitch at one point where trying to modify receivers made for a crash, loaded up a different game (I've restarted a few times but had a while where I was playing vanilla game) and used standard open(no mods) and NMM open and TLDR things work again so I'll try doing it right this time and get back to ya on it
oh, also, an oddity, I successfully just FO4Edit did override and it shows in the list (plays nicely) with other mods it looks like, EXCEPT....
fallout4.esm and armorkeywords.esm show this
modcol_armor_Synth_Torso_Size_B_Materials [OMOD:00046DAD]
RaiderOverhaul.esp and DT00Core.esp (realistic armor DT and headshot damage) show this
I remember previously I was doing a mod and some valdicil stuff was popping up showing modded armors as synth armors, with the name "robot armor"
modcol_armor_RaiderMod_Torso_Size_B_Materials [OMOD:0018B198]
but I've changed it and it shows properly as raider armour so I'm happy now regardless

this isn't so much of an issue I think, because I uninstalled some stuff back then, but it's... a funny thing (that I don't understand but I'm not trying to do everything atm just some simple stat edits for armour and DT)

Edited by tartarsauce2