Post-War Weaponry: An Aesthetic Alternative to Pipe Dreams

darthwaiter

Pre-war weapons are great, there's no doubt. Unfortunately, they lack the expanded versatility of pipe weaponry not to mention that pipe weapons are just so much easier to find in your everyday travels throughout the Commonwealth. Having said that, I always thought that pipe weaponry was a bit ... well ... ugly. I absolutely understand that your first encounters outside of Vault 111 should be chumps with scavenged weapons, scavenged armor and probably scavenged dialogue. But as it pertains to lore, it's been two centuries and change since the bombs fell and pipe weapons just feel like something that's out of place with the lore of Fallout.

There's no doubt in my mind that cobbled together shooty-shooters would be the mainstay for a great many resourceful folks living in the Wasteland, but if we're going to have improvised weaponry put together by hardened Fallout denizens, let's do it with some style, shall we?

So, I propose a retexture project combined with the current in-game weapon assets (mods and such) of pipe weaponry. Lemme give you an example ....

This is a Rossi Circuit Judge sold at freaking Wal-Mart of all places -

http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Almost+every+walmart+i+ve+been+in+has+one+of+these+_6df61abd3f64c448986a0477cbed5de0.jpg

Doesn't look too far off from a pipe-revolver-rifle, does it? Nope, sure doesn't, just a little bit of machine work, welding work and a knowledgeable hand with a wood chisel and sandpaper.

Now think about all of the amazing, weird, wild and wonderful firearms that have barely made it out of production for WWI and WWII. Hell, think about some of the unique weapons that were spawned in the Old West! Ever seen a duckfoot pistol?

http://p2.la-img.com/378/29340/11451724_1_l.jpg

That business came out of the Age of Sail ... you know ... PIRATES! SCURVY! SCRIMSHAW!

I guess my point is that not every improvised weapon needs to look like absolute garbage made out of garbage; history is replete with handmade firearms that have some production value, no matter how small the batch may have been or how eclectic the clientele was at the time. And remember, this may be a world full of dangerous circumstances around every corner, but if you're an established settler (and I know most of us are) then you're going to have regular access to a couple of workbenches with which to make your weaponry your own.

I realize that what I'm suggesting is a massive undertaking and I have no idea the kind of modeling and animation work required, but I suspect that having the Creation Kit would be a huge help in refining whatever would be needed. For now, I'd like this to be a thread where everyone can show off a neat original idea, discuss historical concept design and just offer general input on the dream of improving the aesthetic of weaponry throughout the Commonwealth. And remember ...

Just because it's a dream, it doesn't have to be a Pipe Dream.