Formating PC

This is it, I have to format my PC to give my primary partition more space for windows 7 to grow. The process I'm planning to backup stuff is keep all folders as they are, when I have windows 7 running again install oblivion and all the official plugins (for the registry keys) then just rename the new installation something else and put the old folder in it's location. Will this work for wrye bash, OBMM and all?

Rather than formatting, have you tried Easeus Partition Master? It's a free program which allows you to clone partitions onto a second drive, delete partitions, resize partitions, etc. You can shrink any secondary partitons and enlarge the Win7 one, usually without rebooting! Alternatively you can move the other partitions to a second hard drive, and fill the whole of your boot drive with the Win7 one. Edited by MarkInMKUK

Unfortunately, Oblivion only allows one copy per computer. This can be bypassed by having the virtual WinXP in Win7, allowing 2 copies, but on different versions, each version with it's own Windows Registry. Having both Win7 & Vista in different partitions will work also, but you must be able to boot from each separately. And the game cannot be copied from one partition to another sucessfuly

The reason just moving - or copying an old install of the game over is that during installation Oblivion makes several entries in the Windows registry that tell the game where to find important assets - like the Oblivion.exe and Oblivion.esm , Data folder and where the ini and save games are, just copying the game doesn't do anything with these - or place them where they need to go.

Instead, you MUST reinstall the entire game. However, once the files are in place, and you have started and made the first save, you can copy the data folder, Oblivion.ini and save game folder over the ones put in by the install process.

Any programs installed outside of the data folder, such as OBMM, OBSE, Wrye Bash and anything installed directly into the \Oblivion folder should be reinstalled instead of being copied.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.