Let's talk companions.

k361

Curie, Cait or Piper equipped with level VI X-01 armour and a modified assault rifle/laser rifle are all good for me, although Curie can be a bit annoying, mumbling away in the background.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously it's Preston, because whenever you try to talk to him to take away his clothes or weapons, he locks you into another quest to help out one of your settlements. Anyone with me?

No, but really, it depends on the mood. If I'm feeling nice, I take along Piper or Curie, since they coo at basically any kind action. If I want to go on a non-stop stealing spree while taking drugs, I take Cait or MacCready, though it also means you're not allowed to sympathize with anyone, else you lose all your "street cred," I guess.

Far as fighting goes, I'm a stealth player, so my companions are more of a nuisance than anything in a donnybrook, save maybe Deacon, and even then he sometimes just teleports from place to place, frightening me into shooting the air blindly. Companions are weird, mate.

@UnderwaterFrenetic

Far as I know, without mods, Cait is actually the best companion for stealth, since her presence doesn't get YOU detected. Well, or at least that used to be the case, no idea if they fixed it in the meantime. Plus, there are mods to give her hidden perk to other companions, so you don't have to put up with her complaining about any act of kindness.

Moraelin, I didn't know that! They made Deacon seem so sneaky in-game, and he never seemed to alert anybody-- thanks for telling me. Far as responses go, I like to attune myself to the character, you know? Roleplaying and all. I just tell everybody what they want to hear and then abandon them in The Castle, like a good friend and lover would.

• 2 weeks later...

I never use any companion.Really. They get in my way. Always standing in front of the elevator button or the loot i am getting.. usually only chems, wine, ammo or caps. They are annoying, talk too much.and are usually quite useless in a fight. Their personal perks don't really compliment my play-style and are useless to me.. . and the 'romance' option, if there is one... is a laughable joke, and far from good enough.

IF i would have to choose one..it would be Deacon... But since i find the rail-road a bunch of incompetent idiots, their ideals misguided.. And their quests boring, I could never get Deacon, even if i wanted to.

All i usually do with the rail-road, is have them get the code from the chip,. and then kill them all.

Curie is acceptable. but only if i could make her shut up a bit more... For a robot she is quite illogical. and stealth goes out the window, with a big round floating white ball following you around, making all those locomotive noises...

Nope.. no companions for me... I do things the way and i like them to do.. and i don't need some floating or walking curator behind me, spouting his/her approval/dislike about anything i do..

I like Cait because she allows for a flexible morality. I mean sure, she disapproves of helping people who are just dying in front of us but that's a petty quibble since she is fine about it all after you pick a lock. She is fun to have around when I want to threaten someone, and whenever we do agree on something then that moment is almost magic.

For instance, when fighting for the Railroad you eventually come across a dying ally, Glory, and she asks that you swear to save her people. As you swear to do so Cait chimes in: "Sure, sweetie... we'll do whatever you say." [Cait Liked That]

She sure as hell earned the wedding ring on her finger after that, and the rampage through the Brotherhood occupied police station was the icing on the cake. I could practically hear singing...

For my second playthrough, despite romancing Piper, I might just go full-on Lone Wanderer after getting all of the companion perks I can.

Edited by CyrusAmell

Did you see a cut quest called The Replacement? Pay attention to it's icon. It seems Beth had a synth-spouse companion in mind for the player. Still they did cut that our, wonder why. Maybe we'll see this quest return in the next DLC?

• 1 month later...