Casting from a activator without sound effect

PrettyMurky

I'm using an activator to cast a spell to run checks on the area around the player, and it is generally working fine. However I could do without the resonating 'thud' sound that plays whenever the spell is cast. Is there some way to remove this?

I've found the OBSE command 'SetMECastingSound' but can't figure out how to use it. I've tried making a sound (with no associated wav file), and tried to attach that to my spell, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

PM

Well then, the syntax for SetMECastingSound is

SetMECastingSound newValue:ref effect:refOrCode

The new value should be the name of the sound that should play, and effect should be the effect code. So you'll want something like

SetMECastingSound YourSound SEFF

The problem here is, you obviously do not want to put this in as part of the spell script. Otherwise, the regular sound would play before you actually changed it! You'll probably want to handle this in the script that controls the activator. So change whatever script you have to

YourActivator.Cast YourSpell

And the custom spell should have

SetMECastingSound SPLAlterationCast SEFF

However, if you used a custom spell to summon an activator to cast a second custom spell, you probably want to change the sound before the first custom spell casts. Then you'll need to use a quest script

scn questscript

short changed

Begin GameMode

if (GetPlayerSpell == YourSpell) && (changed == 0)
	set changed to 1
elseif (GetPlayerSpell != YourSpell) && (changed == 1)
	SetMECastingSound SPLAlterationCast SEFF
	set changed to 0
endif

End