Help I'm stupid

mymee

There are lots of knock-on effects to combining mods which are not instantly obvious.

The first is speed and stability. Every file that Oblivion has to open is another file access, and thus another thing slowing down the game, especially if you have not found out how to over-rule your antivirus trying to scan every file "on access". Granted, with only 20 mods it's very marginal, but it's amazing how fast they add up. If you install Better Cities and Unique Landscapes, that's at least 20 ESP files, maybe more, just in two "mods". An install of FCOM, which combines dozens of other mods, and you are up towards 100 ESP files.

Secondly, and where Wrye Bash begins to beat OBMM for use, is installing mods. Once you get to grips with BAIN installers as an alternative to OMODs, you have far more control over which mod "wins" if two or more mods change the same thing, and especially when uninstalling them.

Thirdly, some mods REQUIRE Wrye Bash to work. Anything with a "compatibility patch" with other mods may well need Wrye Bash to only use the chunks of the file which match your existing mods.

Fourthly - debugging. Erye Bash is far easier to use to identify which "parent" mods a file has, and check that they are already loaded.

Fifthly - sharing resources between mods, such as access to new cells for wandering npc's, or use of new items such as new food types, etc.

The list goes on and on - these are just the ones which occur to me at 5:30 in the morning :)

Wow lol where are you that's 5:30 in the morning hehe

Also can you give me a crash course on BAINs? Are they like OMODs that I need to download the right version, like "AWESOMEST MOD OMOD VERSION", but only now I have to download the "AWESOMEST MOD BAIN VERSION"

Or can I just download the zip file, and somehow convert it into BAINs.

Thankya

I'm only just beginning to come to grips with BAIN installers myseld - lots of files are now in "BAIN ready" format - the giveaway is the folders inside, which start off with 00 and 01, etc.

Beyond that, it'll need an expert - I'm about to start a new install using BAIN where possible. The advantage REALLY shows when you remove a mod - if it changed anything else that was already altered by a mod, Wrye Bash then puts the old file back, unlike OBMM which doesn't.

...and I'm in the UK - only online because the cats got me up demanding food.

Edited by MarkInMKUK