Custom headpart/tri files do not deform correctly

duude98

I have been working on custom races for my mod recently and followed this tutorial to create custom tri files for my race. Since my race looks different than anything in vanilla Skyrim I am creating custom tri files from scratch as opposed to deforming the existing ones. Here is what the scene looks like in max. I exported everything as the tutorial states, edited the obj's in notepad accordingly, and compiled. To my astonishment, the resulting tri file does not crash the ck and it does show up, but the deformations basically seem to do whatever they want. This is an expression applied to it. Basically I am wondering what sort of design shoddyness on my part is causing this to happen. Note also that this is just for the femalehead.tri, I have not created any morphs for the chargen tri(and I don't think that the race morph one would be necessary in this case), so do I need to generate that as well to fix this issue or is it unrelated?

Just thought of the idea to remove the race and character generation tri files from a vanilla head mesh to see if that would produce the same result and thus narrow down the problem, and I can report that it did not produce the same result. Without race and character generation morph tris, vanilla heads still deform correctly for lip syncing and expressions, so now I know that is definitely not the problem. It must be a problem with the tri file, but I swear I followed that tutorial down to the letter, so I have no idea. Should I have made a tri from just the base head and add the morphs using conformulator?

• 2 years later...

That's what happens when the vertices on the mesh don't line up with the instructions on the TRI file. Chances are, either the vertex changed or their order did. You have to be really careful with 3DS Max, as I've found it sometimes changes the vertex count on export.