Machaera Unleashed

WarRatsG

MACHAERA UNLEASHED

Foreword

Hi :)

Basically, this mod is going to be about a sword (funnily enough) that the player can upgrade indefinitely, but with a story behind it too. I can't really say too much about it just now, it's still basically planning and concept phase. I have a basic story in mind, but it's more the features that I am going to discuss just now, so here goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Description

Machaera (latin for "sword") is a quest mod that revolves around a weapon of the same name. The weapon is unique in that it can hold multiple souls unlike other equipment, which it not only improves it's magical enchantments, it can improve it's physical capabilities as well. So as you learn and grow, the sword adapts: you can make it more damaging, reduce it's weight, make it faster, add extra enchantments to the weapon itself or draw on it's power to add bonuses to the player.

The collective intelligence of the souls has given the sword a will of it's own, to a degree. It will not deny ownership or hinder you in any way, but with convincing can aid you in certain ways, such as drawing more power. This intelligence is the basis of the story.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Features

-A brand new sword to enjoy

-It's power is limited to your play time. You can:

-Increase Weapon Base damage

-Weight

-Increase Weapon Speed

-Quest to go along with it

-Unlimited enchantments: A use for all those petty soul gems

-Add spells and abilities to the player by drawing power from the sword

Basically I need help with certain areas and I need to see public interest for me to continue. I don't want to pour hours into this for 50 views.

The areas I need help with are:

-Ideas for weapon enchantments: There is technically a limit; 200 enchantments. 20 types with 10 tiers each. I am looking for more unique ideas for these. Something a little different from Fire, Frost & Shock damage. I already have a basic twenty that should work fine but does anyone have ideas?

-Ideas for player enchantments: another aspect of the weapon is the ability to draw power from it. Basically when you equip it you gain abilities and/or spells. Again, I have a few in mind, both based on vanilla powers and some unique ones (such as slowing down time for a short period) but does anyone have some decent ideas?

-Meshes for weapon: I can't really model, as I've never learned how. I could but I wouldn't be skilled enough to do the main selling point of the mod justice. The rest I can bump from vanilla, although it would be great to have some skilled and kind modellers one pm away.

-Any new concepts: Obviously, I'm still in planning for this one. If I get some interest and comments left I will definitely pursue this project.

Thanks people, any feedback is appreciated

Enchantments: How about

- taunting/insulting opponent (it CAN talk, I hope),

- counter-striking,

- extended reach (weapon morphs as you "hit" to make it longer, to strike a opponent too far away to hit),

- intercept magic/transfer magic (either a magic shield IF you block, or an Atronach ability if you block),

- summon magic sword companion - time-limited "companion" additional sword with increasing stats,

- improved butchery - better yield of meat from animals,

- "sonar" - sound of a sword strike is echoed from searby enemies,

- "lash" - magical whip effect from sword tip,

- "share enchantment" - casts time-limited matching enchantments on your companion's weapons,

- "ghastly screech" - imagine a sharpening sound, magnified, with an overtone of fingernails down a blackboard - to distract your opponents.

@MarkInMKUK

First off, thanks for being the first to comment. Definitely some good suggestions there, but perhaps you can elaborate on a few things?

-Counter striking: are you talking about something like reflect damage or a whole new combat element with animations and stuff?

-Extended reach: I guess there could be a short term increase in reach that could be explained as a "magical" boost. Remember though that the physical elements are unlimited, so someone could end up with a 4ft sword that could hit someone from the other side of a 20ft room. See the paradox?

-Sonar: Life detect?

-Improved butchery: sadly I can see far too many conflicts with this one.

-Lash: This could be that extended reach thing you were talking about?

-Ghastly screech: Demoralize?

Counterstriking - I'm thinking a defensive parry with an immediate retaliatory strike - as level of enchantment increases you should have an increasing chance of managing a sneak hit as the opponent withdraws his weapon. Probably needs additional animations.

Extended reach - I'm thinking a mesh which morphs to become longer, maybe up to a maximum of 50% increased reach at the highest level. There should be an increased "to hit" chance as the opponent is expecting the sword to remain at one length, and may not be far enough back to avoid the longer attack reach.

Sonar - not as useful as life detect - you get an echo (which may be directional), but YOU have to work out where it came from, it's not going to emit a continuous noise. Each "ping" will cause another echo of course. Range increases with level.

Lash - I was thinking more of a whip effect with the sword blade forming the butt of the whip, lashing with maybe fire or shock damage.

GGhastly screeh - a combination of distraction and demoralize, yes - the implication being it's likely to make the opponent try to cover their ears and hence rather lose their defensive block ability.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I'm not sure how I would implement a lot of these things, extended reach I could do (without the mesh maybe) and sonar I could try out a few things. I don't really know how to create animations myself so the ghastly screech and counter-strike could be difficult. I guess if I can get a decent modeller I can try it out.

I spotted a mod idea labelled "Whip" near this ione on the forum - might be worth keeping tabs on it to see what they come up with for animations and the like.