3 can you do this Mod questions

Deleted2746547User

@ Stevie.... thanks for the advice and for your help.... well, for just starting to mod you are certainly helpful and knowledgeable :)

@tunaisafish so helpful... starting working on it but I've run into some issues... trying to work around them. tried the sortomatic.. got it incorporated and working but I'm having a few issues in configuration. I've created crates for ammo, weapons, armor, supplies, etc. and want the default containers (when me or anyone starts the mod it would automatically default all ammo to an ammo container, weapon to my weapons etc. If I or another player wanted to go into the configuration and change that, they still could) YOUR MOD IS AMAZING... but there are so many options, I'm having a problem simplifying that part....?

The mod I'm working on is progressing..at least aesthetically.. that is I'm doing fairly well at placing/building everything... and with editing nifs... but the scripting is going to be a lot of work... I'm fashioning it somewhat in the form of a Base construction/mission oriented mod.... So, I have several aspects I'm working on.... (OH, and this is NOT even trying to come close to emulating RTS or Wasteland Defense.. truly wonderful mammoth endeavors.... )

1. making missions to restore base power (fixing fuel supply/generators).... that will supply base power in conjunction with fuel supplies (as mentioned above). Use of power for perimeter lighting/defenses allows the player early warnings on attacks, indoor power use might give you bonuses for health, "mood" etc.

2. placing cameras and intercoms in the guard towers and allowing the player to fix/bring them online in a communications system (allows status checks on guard towers, visual access to cameras)

3 Deployable base tents (kind of like the portable tent by fee or used by Bess in RTS, etc. A tent that comes in a crate for each function (quartermaster/merchant, medic, barracks, etc.) That keeps a certain uniformity and military feel to it.. A mission/or obj. may be tied to getting each tent? but once you get the tent and deploy it (can also be taken down and moved) it allows you access in the terminal to its function.

4. Feature a moveable terminal that you can take anywhere (?possible) that allows you to control the aspects of the base (I'm initially setting this up for NCRCF but when its finished... someone else may be able to use this to make all its features available to "plant" a base anywhere. The terminal would show you fuel supplies, operational status of lighting, companions, allow you to turn lighting on/off (depending on fuel supplies)....

The point of all this is to make a functioning sort of base that has a more military feel... and for my purposes now, to make NCRCF like a true base of operations to go along with my mod. But later, maybe where others could use all of its functions anywhere on the map.

Point of mod... well, I like conquering things. I dont just want to build a town... I want to expand control... Why just float control between NCR, Legion, and so on? Have gun will conquer :) So, eventually as part of the Mod's Missions/Objectives....and as your power/strength, grows... you would be able to extend "protection"/control over towns across the Mojave. Of course,you'd still have to physically "go there" Why have all that firepower and skill...and not be able to be your own boss? better yet, be the boss of others. :)

Anyway, that's the thinking... a lot to do...and 'm no expert at scripting so it will be a long road... but thats the goal. Any and all help/cooperation/suggestions will be appreciated.

i'm not that good at quests yet (just started modding two months and something ago), so i try to avoid them whereever i can (yet)... hehe... ;-)

You already know how to do it, you just don't know you do :)

A quest script is just like a persistent object, with its' own built in timer.

So in the script above where you said to increase YourTerminalREF.Fuel, that just changes to BaseEnergyQuest.fuel

and the gamemode block in the quest script will run every 5 secs by default (and easy to change).

See! nothing to it :) You don't *need* to define any stages/dialog etc.

@namaskar, glad you like it :)

If you've not already seen them, check out the default set of containers. They may save you creating your own.

They're in the Palette Editor files - using the P.E. makes designing and placement much easier.

But yes, if you want to assign some stating defaults, creating your own crates is the way to go :thumbsup:

See the container_weights.txt file. That shows the weight to assign to your container base form, for the corresponding category(s).

It's a good idea to have a clean save (meaning before you installed your mod), outside of your cell.

Each time you want to test it, load the clean save, enter and activate any of the containers.

As you do this there'll be a message printed to console summarising the designer defaults - so it's easy to check that it is setup how you think it should be.

Anyway, that's the thinking... a lot to do...and 'm no expert at scripting so it will be a long road... but thats the goal. Any and all help/cooperation/suggestions will be appreciated.

Apart from the camera part (I wouldn't know where to start that), I think they're all achievable.

@ tunaisafish : :) you are brilliant. question: 3 questions about the power. I'm going to do two things.

1. start off with the player able to "deploy" or repair the fuel/generator system. A.) I've read your advice but how would you tie the fuel "container" to the power and link that to the switch? That is, I have a container, it accepts inventory (though I dont know how to limit it to only fuel)..., and i think i get the idea of the scripts you suggested... but I'm just lost on the "order" of tying it to the light scripts and in turn to the "switch" Maybe I need to look at this more. :)

2, I'm creating a mission to where the player can steal the schematics for a Fission Fuel Converter. Once obtained: the player can deploy a Fission Fuel Converter that would allow him to run power on both Fission souces and fuel (flamer fuel, alcohol :), etc.) The conversion from feul (flamer. etc) to energy "credits" would be lower than fission conversion. So, 10 units of fuel might = 1 energy credit, while 1 fission battery might = 10 energy credits. The con to the fission converter is that the player would need to have a high science skill, etc. to use/repair it. And I like the idea of making some power users require more power. :) thx for that idea! (as for solar power - I'm not remotely inclined to implement it.. mostly as a matter of personal preference...

anyhoo. thank you!

anyhoo, trying to muddle my way back through the scripts.... will get back to you... :)

Door Question: So, a door question. I set up a terminal, gave it unique id. set up 4 doors, all persistent/unique id/locked.

In the terminal I have a menu that leads to a cell/door sub menu allowing you to open (then relock) the cell doors, 1,2,3,4 ..

So I have the mennu show up in terminal, and that leads me to the submenu which doors 1, 2, 3, 4 listed. But when (ingame) i press each item... nothing happens..

i've tried following the instructions from various sources... but no script I write seems to get ACTIVATED by me selecting the item in game. any ideas?

As a secondary problem, once I use the terminal and try to use it again, it wont let me access/select it.

weird.

anyway, apologies about the newbie questions... thanks again...

this is the script for each of the doors... ?

SCN SpecialOpsBrigCell1Switch

Begin OnActivate

If SpecialOpsBrigCell1.GetOpenState == 3 ;its closed

SpecialOpsBrigCell1.SetOpenState 1 ;Open the door

ElseIf SpecialOpsBrigCell1.GetOpenState == 1 ;its open

SpecialOpsBrigCell1.SetOpenState 0 ;close the door

SpecialOpsBrigCell1.Lock

Endif

End

this is the script for each of the doors... ?

You got the right script, but it was intended for an activator object.

If you're using it in a terminal then you don't need to specify any BlocksTypes (eg. OnActivate).

(Oh, to get the script to show indented on the webpage, enclose it in [ code ] [ /code ] tags.)

If SpecialOpsBrigCell1.GetOpenState == 3  ;its closed
         SpecialOpsBrigCell1.SetOpenState 1   ;Open the door
    ElseIf SpecialOpsBrigCell1.GetOpenState == 1  ;its open
        SpecialOpsBrigCell1.SetOpenState 0  ;close the door
         SpecialOpsBrigCell1.Lock  
    Endif

This project will involve a lot of scripting, so going through a tutorial or 2 now will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Scripting for Beginners - a short intro by Cipscis.

Note: Cipscis also made a great tutorial for creating menu's.

There's also a downloadable scripting tutorial by Falloutperson416 here on the nexus.

Also essential, is a bookmark to the GECK wiki. Basically the Scripting Bible.

When scripting, you'll make typos and syntax errors that will stop the GECK from saving the scripts. It's a good idea to install GECK-pu (GECK power up).

To get you started with the fuel & lights...

Place 2 XMarker objects (find them under Static) in the cell, make them persistent and call them

SpecialOpsLgts1 & SpecialOpsLgts2

These are 2 of your lighting zones. They are not visible in the game.

Create a new quest script as below

scn SpecialOpsBaseQuestScript

int Fuel ; This is the total fuel units in stock
int FuelRqd ; This is the calculated amount that will be used in a single 5 second period

Begin GameMode
 If Fuel
 Else
   return
 Endif

set FuelRqd to 0

;Lghts1 uses 1 unit of Fuel/5sec
 If SpecialOpsLgts1.GetDisabled
 Else
   set FuelRqd to FuelRqd + 1
 Endif

;Lghts2 uses 3 unit of Fuel/5sec
 If SpecialOpsLgts1.GetDisabled
 Else
   set FuelRqd to FuelRqd + 3
 Endif

;Subtract the fuel used
 set Fuel to Fuel - FuelRqd

; Turn off all power users when Fuel runs out.
 If Fuel < 1
   set Fuel to 0
   SpecialOpsLgts1.Disable
   SpecialOpsLgts2.Disable
 Endif

End

Make a new quest called SpecialOpsBaseQuest, and select the script above.

Make an Activator object that will be your Fuel adding tank, and add this script.

For now it will just take a battery from the player. Later you can add a menu for repairing, alternate fuels, different fuel units.

This is a slight variation of what Stevie posted above...

scn SpecialOpsFuelTank
Begin onActivate
 If GetQuestRunning SpecialOpsBaseQuest
 Else
   StartQuest SpecialOpsBaseQuest
 Endif

If player.GetItemCount FissionBattery
   player.removeItem FissionBattery 1
   set SpecialOpsBaseQuest.Fuel to SpecialOpsBaseQuest.Fuel + 100000
 Else
;    ShowMessage SpecialOpsNoBatteries ; Uncomment when/if you want to display a msg.
 Endif
End

Now to get those 2 XMarkers working.

Add an Activator light switch, with the script below (a variation of Light Switch)

Set the XMarker as the LinkedRef of the light switch.

Add as many switches as you want to the XMarkers.

ScriptName SpecialOpsLightSwitch

ref light

Begin OnActivate
 If SpecialOpsBaseQuest.Fuel == 0
   return
 Endif
 if light == 0
   set light to GetLinkedRef ; light will now hold a ref to the XMarker
 endif
 if light.GetDisabled
   light.Enable
 else
   light.Disable
 endif
 Activate

Lastly, add your light objects, and for each one choose the appropriate XMarker as the 'Enable Parent'.

tunaisafish - you are the man for all seasons! thanks so much for the advice, links and for putting together that script.! That helps so much.

I've tried going through the tutorial on scripting, etc. before but I'm banging my head against the wall to make heads or tails of it when it comes to scripting (and yes, unfortunately THIS WILL REQUIRE A LOT of scripting... I realized it as I finished work on a large volume of the back story/mission objectives, etc. for this mod. It is detailed and offers the player a completely different/and I think unique way of approaching the game. (Its loosely lore-friendly but doesn't necessarily address the games' 200 year plus back story. It as it incorporates the game 's various factions, etc.into a plausible (I believe) alternate reality. And as the "story" progresses, the player is faced with several pathways - he can continue to follow his primary mission route - or set up and expand his own control of the mojave and its people.

I mean really, who doesn't want to conquer the wastes for himself. So, yes - with the type of events, etc. I want to take place... scripting will be a pain. (Maybe I can find a cooperative scripter and make a joint effort on it!) I have so many things I want this to do... unfortunately, I am much better at doing the "scene', storyline and "aesthetic" work than I am at scripting... but I will certainly keep reading and referring to those excellent links.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!