Mods I want, a little help please

Tanveer91

Hey guys :).

I was very hyped and downloaded a lot of mods. Which ended up the game not working at all lol.

I have oblivion with official update 1.2 and shivering island installed and I want the following mods:

Lighting

Textures

Better levelling (so i can level up good and high)

Armour

Race mods

Anything extra to add to the gameplay and extend gameplay

I want those to work together, so please suggest me the ones that would work together fine without problems.

Thanks

OK - You're going to need to add a little to that setup - mostly utilities before you can start trying to add all those mods.

Assuming you are now at Oblivion (Shivering Icles) v1.2.0416...

(-2) If you have either the Impulse or D2D version of Oblivion, go through all mods requirements and ditch any asking for OBSE or OBGE - they won't work with D2D or Impulse versions, period.

(-1) If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, move Oblivion out of the c:\program files\ drectory to someplace like c:\Games - guide is here.

(0) Download and install mTES4 Manager. Use it to clone your current game setup so that if (when) it all ends in tears you can swicth back to a working version.

(1) Add any of the official DLC modules you intend to play.

(2) Install Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) and Better Oblivion sorting Software (BOSS).

(3) Add the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), if you added any DLCs (Including Knights of the Nine)add the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), and the Unofficial Patch Supplementals. Most of these can be obtained in OMOD or OMOD-ready format, and this is a good time to learn how to use OBMM to install things using them.

(4) Test the game still runs ok.

(5) Use mTES4 Manager to take another clone (it's only disk space!). Once done, you should be able to delete the first clone you did.

(6) Install OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender) and OBGE (Oblivion Graphics Extender).

(7) Install Fast Exit 2 and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS).

(8) Test it works, clone it, you know the drill by now.

(9) Download and install Wrye Bash v292 - this will involve installing a thing called Python, just follow ALL of the instructions carefully and persevere until you get it to work. You WILL need this before the end of your modding spree, and it's better to get it working BEFORE you're going scatty with mods failing. You may not use it at first, but it will come into its own later on :)

(10) Defrag the drive with Oblivion on - I suggest Defraggler not the Windows own defrag.

(11) Make sure your antivirus is NOT set to scan every file on open - Oblivion opens hundreds and you'll end up slowed to a crawl.

Congratulations - you now have something close to a recommended setup for Oblivion.

Now, install the mods one at a time, and clone after EACH one is proven to work. You'll swear at me at first, but after the tenth or eleventh big mod goes in, and suddently stuff all goes funny, you'll bless my nickname :) You only need to keep two clones - the one at atage (8) and the latest "just before I installed the latest mod" one.

Okay, I will follow those instructions.

But my question also was to recommend me mods for the things I listed. There are way too many mods for the same thing, I wanted recommendation as to which mods to use for the purposes I mentioned :)!

Lighting - OBGE includes a good selection of new shaders which help with lighting. I also use Real Lights for realistically lit interiors, but that will make it a tad dark for some.

Textures - Qarl's Texture Pack 3 (QTP3) is the biggest and bestest for most things. Add Animated Window Lighting System to get those lovely glowing windows at night.

Better levelling - no ideas. I vaguely remember Elys uncapper being mentioned.

Armour - depends on any body mod(s) you have installed - check whether the armour you fancy suits the body you close. Also download a stock replacer for the body mod.

Race Mods - I personally liked the Race Rebalancing Project, but others seem to prefer all sorts of alternatives. The main problem with some of them is "googly eyes" - Wrye bash can SOMETIMES be used to sort that out, but it's a pain.

Other mods I like to enhance the game world or play:

Better cities

Unique Landscapes (and whatever patches you need to work with other mods)

Lost Spires (big quest mod)

Integration: The stranded Light (big quest mod)

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul

Duke Patrick's Archery Mod.

If you like to have a companion, one of the best is Companion Vilja - parts of the dialogue were created with the aid of a certain Mr Terry Pratchett.

I personally loathe the over-the-top nature of things like Uneccessary Violence or Deadly Reflex, and from the postings I see DR v6 seems to be pretty tough to get working.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

For lighting and weather, I'd go with All Natural. It's a bit difficult to get working if you don't know bash yet, but it's the mod that got me to use bash, and now I don't know how I kept my game running without ;) All natural adds lots of weather diversity and makes indoor lighting dependant on the time of day. You can see and hear what weather it is while inside.

If your system can handle it, RAEVWD will give you some great distant views. AWLS adds a lot of atmosphere to the world by lighting up windows at night and adding smoking chimneys.

For levelling, I use realistic levelling, which completely removes all the hassle with using particular skills to get the right attribute bonuses. Instead, attributes progress along with your skills, leaving you free to use skills as needed and not worry about wasting levelup multipliers. It's all up to personal taste though.

For races, I use COBL races, and the recent upgrade that adds eyelashes to COBL races. I also have COBL races TNR (Tamriel NPC's Revamped) mixed with some beautiful women / handsome gents which means both more diversity in hair and eye styles and prettier NPC's.

Hope those suggestions are of use.