2 Simple Questions

lukashisuphola

Hi Just got Oblivion for pc (played it a T0N way back on console), and also sorry that these 2 questions are going to be very nooby or w/e.

Also important to know I am using Steam's Oblivion GOTY Deluxe.

1.)Oblivion.esm should it be on?

-Asking since it originaly is off

2.)Does Steam Update it or ??

-Asking because I know it technically should, but I know a ton of mods 100% require game to be up to date both Oblivion and Shivering Isles.

= read the way to check is to go to properties of game in the steam's folder and it says product version 120416 which should be right I'm pretty sure and unsure how to check shivering isles.

Also SOrry if this shoulda been placed in tech. support as I just figured this simple enough that it should not to be there.

Edited by lukashisuphola

One point - if you are on Vista or Win7, use THIS page (there's a link on it someplace specifically about shifting the Steam version) to shift the game out of your Program Files directory - saves endless tears and frustration when moddding. User Account Control (UAC) is a pain... Edited by MarkInMKUK

@TheRevernd

shhhett my bad didnt mean skyrim lol ment the dlc umm shivering isles lol >_>

If you had Read the question and you should have.... you would have noticed that is what I ment though lol .... especily since as you said there no way for me to have Skyrim as it 5-6months away still lol.

@Mark

and I know of the switching Steam out, but it more trouble than worth especily since i got so many steam games thanks a bunch though.

And ya it is freaking hate windows lol..

Edited by lukashisuphola

Moving the steam client is actually easy, and it does not affect your steam account at all. If you look, the instructions I included are a link to a steam article and not a home made set of instructions. :thumbsup:

The Oblivion.ESM is "the" Masterfile. Every plugin ever created (which is not a Total Conversion) requires it to work, as all plugins do is overriding/adding/deleting things defined in this very ESM. Deactivate it and your game will not come past the intro video and crash to desktop, as this is the prime example for a "missing masterfile" error CTD.

@ DrakeTheDragon

lol odd that you say that because once I noticed it being off and before coming here I actually made a character to test it out and it seemed like it was working fine though I only played it to the point where the king is by your cell and they saying shoulda been empty than I just quit as it seemed fine. -->Which is were I got confused.. lol.

-I am guessing I just got lucky and most likely it would soon crash or least within a couple hours and mods would probably not work.

Thanks for letting me know, kinda odd that it started off, yet all the dlcs were on... I guess I can blame steam? lol :)