Hot Files on the TESNexus..

Onasaki

That's what I got from it, but I guess not :P

I think for both a shorter time period and a filter would be nice :D

And of course there'd always be an option to ignore the filter and just have it display the overall "hot mods"... what it comes down to in the end is how much work it'd be for the staff. A shorter time period would probably be pretty easy, a filter would be a bit more work.

I fail to see why not wanting to see scantily clad women "immature." I would think the opposite is more of a teenage thing. But whatever; everyone has their opinions.

And here's mine: I agree with the OP and others. A different Hot Files would be nice, but I don't think that would change much. Seems to me like these types of mods are released quite frequently, so you'd still see a lot of them even with a frequent weekly change. However, it would be nice to see a general category hot files, like cloths/armors as a different file from weapons, NPCs/Companions, Quests/Dungeons/New Lands, etc, if the Hot Files were to change.

However, I also agree with Bben and what another poster said. I don't really concern myself with the popular movements. I do my own thing (another reason I call myself Lonewolf ;) ). In fact, I rarely even see the Hot Files at all. I go straight to the Recently Added page to review the new mods.

But, as a modder myself, I do see the value in publicity, and recognize that Hot Files are used by the public quite often, especially those that have been out of the field for awhile and come back later. Therefore, I would suggest with doing away with the Hot Files altogether! In its place, Random Files. And have the selection leave out the mods tagged/labeled with "adult" on them. In this case, nearly all mods would get the chance to be in the spotlight from time to time.

I like the idea of scrapping hot files and having random files. TES Alliance has places on their site that do that.

Of course on the other hand, half of the mods are trash. Noob modders submit their "Mi furst mod" sort of files. Then they abandon their mods and never go back to fix the bugs that are usually found in a person's first mod. So I guess it would be nice to have some sort of a filter that would prevent bad mods from being featured in the box on the home page. Something like a mod needs five endorsements or 200 downloads or some other criteria to make it to the random files promotional box.

Another option might be to promote new files with screenshots in the big box. The box could just display the latest 20 uploads. A useful filter for this would be to disqualify all the recent uploads that do not have screen shots, files, and readmes. Nah. disregard this last new file idea. It is sounding stupider and stupider. Half of the new files are trash just like half of the random files are.

I guess the present filters that locate hot files are not so bad, because you can be pretty certain that the hot files are not really buggy and that they are well-enough made that many people like them and have fun using them.

I fail to see why not wanting to see scantily clad women "immature." I would think the opposite is more of a teenage thing. But whatever; everyone has their opinions.

I think it's more the intolerant reactions of some on the forum being called "immature", i.e. calling folks pervs and such.

I would favor the idea of category based Hot Files. What if it were to work like this? Take the categories which have had mods uploaded in the last two weeks or so. From each of those categories, pick one Hot File which has the most downloads recently, above a certain threshold to keep down noise. The most popular clothing and armor mods will still get a spotlight, but mods such as towns, lands, and quests will also get a better shot at front page publicity.

That would be really cool if the present hot files filters were still used, but there were several boxes and several categories. The category I would most like to see get its own box would be something like "Dungeons, Quests, Adventures, and Activities."

I have to respond to something I saw in this topic...

Just because a mod is labeled as "adult" doesn't make it mature. That's like saying that Family Guy is mature. It isn't - it's immature humor, directed at an adult audience.

Skimpy armor mods and sex mods aren't mature. Most of the people who use them likely aren't even adults.

The word "mature" implies that, not only are you an adult, but you are also responsible and tolerable. It doesn't mean that you like to load up NPCs with H-cups and look at 'em jiggle. Mature people respect others and don't do childish/adolescent things - at least, not often.

Please, stop confusing "mature" with "adult." Note that I'm not supporting or crying out against adult mods here (although my personal opinion is against adult mods, but I don't complain about it - I use a few tamer "adult" armor sets, plus body replacers, myself anyway).

Edited by rinoaff33