Need help with Oblivion modding on steam

I recently purchased Oblivion for my PC because of how cheap it was on Steam, I want to mod it to add simple things like Capes, maybe some new armor and a few races. No real graphical overhauls or anything. I am following the guide here. When adding the capes to the game they would show up in game, but they would not be there physically. Only the names of the items would be in the shops. Is there any reason for this? I run on Vista 32 bit and I downloaded Oblivion GOTY Deluxe from Steam, so there is no .exe or anything like that for Oblivion. I can't find a real tutorial or anything on how to mod with steam and there seems to be no answers to my problem online that have a conclusion that helps.

Thank you.

Firestly, move Oblivion out of the default steam installation folder - there's a link someplace in THIS page which explains how. Move it to C:\Games\Steam\Oblivion. Vista (and Windows 7) have a thing called User account Control which is the kiss of death to trying to mod any file it thinks it should be protecting, such as anything under C:\Program Files.

Secondly, check whether any of the mods require Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) to be installed, and make sure you follow the Steam Version install instructions.

You may need to reinstall the mods after moving your installation, as the mods may not have installed properly.

Those simple steps may well fix everything.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/440/2011070200002f.jpg

this is the problem im getting! I moved the entire steam folder outside of Program Files there should be no UAC problems unless it protects C:\ in general. And according to the Data Files it only needs Oblivion.esm to function

edit: I thought maybe selecting Oblivion.esm on the Data Files would work since it was unselected but its still the same thing. I can't find anything about needing OBSE to run the capes mod. im at a loss :(

Edited by demonshogun

I just downloaded and followed the steps of installing OBSE for Steam, followed everthing to a T and it still has the exact same out come. Could it just be a broken mod? or is something to do with Windows Vista?

anyone have any ideas? I have posted on other forums about this but the thread just vanishes without any progress

Edited by demonshogun

Thank you for the help people, this problem was fixed on the Bethesda forums. I have a feeling it was a mix between my noob mentality to modding and a broken patch, other people were having my problem also, when I installed a new patch it worked properly.

Did you import the icons to the right folder? You should try out Oblivion Mod Manager then (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2097) When installed open it and got to Utilities->Archive Invalidation. Check BSA Alteration and all boxes in Files to include. Click update now, close OBMM and test again if it works now.

I downloaded OBMM and I will learn how to use it, at the moment I am sticking with patches that don't conflict with each other. Need to learn how to use patches before I learn how to use one of those patch organizers :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently purchased Oblivion for my PC because of how cheap it was on Steam, I want to mod it to add simple things like Capes, maybe some new armor and a few races. No real graphical overhauls or anything. I am following the guide here. When adding the capes to the game they would show up in game, but they would not be there physically. Only the names of the items would be in the shops. Is there any reason for this? I run on Vista 32 bit and I downloaded Oblivion GOTY Deluxe from Steam, so there is no .exe or anything like that for Oblivion. I can't find a real tutorial or anything on how to mod with steam and there seems to be no answers to my problem online that have a conclusion that helps.

Thank you.

Firestly, move Oblivion out of the default steam installation folder - there's a link someplace in THIS page which explains how. Move it to C:\Games\Steam\Oblivion. Vista (and Windows 7) have a thing called User account Control which is the kiss of death to trying to mod any file it thinks it should be protecting, such as anything under C:\Program Files.

Secondly, check whether any of the mods require Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) to be installed, and make sure you follow the Steam Version install instructions.

You may need to reinstall the mods after moving your installation, as the mods may not have installed properly.

Those simple steps may well fix everything.

I'm running on vista, whats this kiss of death thing? how do i get rid of it?