On the fly weapon mod changing.

ShiranuiMahamayah

The idea would be similar to crysis's system where you press a button and can switch weapon mods. Obviously you would need the weapon mod in your inventory to do this. I ask for this cause I really hate having to carry around 2 or even three of the same gun to switch to depending on the situation, e.g. a night vision rifle for sniping at night, a normal version for day, then a recon for scouting.

The mod would ideally mean if I had a night vision, standard and recon scope in my inventory I would only need to carry, one version of the gun and could switch scopes as needed.

This obviously wouldn't work for all modifications, Only simple mods like scopes, muzzle attachment and maybe magazine size (though why you would change that I don't know) would be changeable.

This would allow a more versatile approach to combat e.g. Upon approaching a raider encampment, I could equip my gun with a recon scope to mark the enemies, making it easier to keep track of them. After this depending on if its night or day, I would equip either a night vision or normal sniper scope and begin picking them off. Then due to negligence I get spotted, thus they all come running at me, due to my long range scope I would have problems fighting in this situation, so I switch out to a reflex scope so I can fight them without the nausea of constantly zooming and unzooming to target them.

If I was playing without this mod I would need to carry 3 gun minimum to pull off this situation, which if said guns are gauss rifles that about anywhere between 40-60 extra weight depending on mods. With this mod 1 gun and 3 to 4 different scopes.

Mods similar to this:

Portable Crafting Tools

Roleplaying Elements - Portable Scopes

Edited by ShiranuiMahamayah

Nothing is impossible before the CK comes out.

Swappable silencers and scopes is a good idea.

Another solution would be a portable weapons bench - there might even be a mod that does that already?

It would take a fair bit of scripting to implement just the scope and silencer swapping options out in the field - will need custom menus and stuff.

I'm busy working on other mods right now, but I'll keep it in mind if no one else does it in the near future. Cheers.

Nothing is impossible before the CK comes out.

Swappable silencers and scopes is a good idea.

Another solution would be a portable weapons bench - there might even be a mod that does that already?

It would take a fair bit of scripting to implement just the scope and silencer swapping options out in the field - will need custom menus and stuff.

I'm busy working on other mods right now, but I'll keep it in mind if no one else does it in the near future. Cheers.

Thanks for the response and a alternate solution to how it could work, that said could a possible early version of the mod, be a item that when selected brings up the workbench menu. Edited by ShiranuiMahamayah

Some mods would make sense,like Silencers and Scopes,but no grips or receivers,and barrels are a bit far fetched as well.

Obviously thats the end idea so you can swap scopes and silencer's on the fly, but for a initial release a item the just brings up the workbench menu would be a good start.

Also barrel changing on a plasma weapon might be possible, as they were made for easy customisation, it even says modular design somewhere in game cant remember where, think its the loading screen.

I'd like portable kits for different types of crafting. Weapon kit, armor kit, medical/chem kit, explosives kit and so on. The kit itself would need to be crafted from found junk (primarily tools I imagine) and have a balanced but somewhat prohibitive weight. I would prefer to be able to assemble a low level kit in the field, but the higher one(s?) would need to be crafted at a legit workbench. Limited in scope and usage (no major/invasive modding on the go, like changing barrels for example) and would consume various resources when used (screws, adhesive, etc, depending on the project). Kits themselves may be consumed/destroyed in the process of crafting (final "charge" used up instead of replenishing the supplies, usable as a last resort maybe). Different grades of quality would allow them to last longer and provide higher level options, but even the best kits should always be less functional the normal workbenches. Three levels sounds decent, maybe makeshift, basic, and advanced?

As for the original post, maybe by simply gathering a few tools you could transform them into a 'Makeshift Weapon Kit' item, which would then allow for a certain number of mod swaps (maybe 5 uses for the most basic). Playing like this would be ideal for me, since I try to avoid the entire settlement aspect of the game. Maybe I'll change my opinion on them when settler AI and UI are improved.

Major item on my mod wishlist: a portable kit like this that allows me to scrap junk while not in a settlement. The idea I have for a tradeoff would require some balance testing of course, but I'm thinking each component of a junk item could have a chance of being destroyed in the process of breaking it down, with success based on a combo of INT and perks (Scrapper comes to mind).

I'd like portable kits for different types of crafting. Weapon kit, armor kit, medical/chem kit, explosives kit and so on.

This might work for more advanced mod swapping. But for just changing muzzle attachments and scopes, I don't think the kit would be necessary.

True, the majority of barrel mods and scopes would be made in such a way as to require nothing more than a screwdriver at most. I think I'm just conditioned by decades of gaming to feel like I have to have certain items for things. ;) Plus, I artificially restrict my carry capacity in vanilla by bringing a junk tool kit with me, purely for RP reasons (wrenches, screwdrivers, adhesive, screws, fuses, etc) and I guess I want it to actually mean something. Right now my tool kit has a bit of utility in that I make sure I always have some spare materials on me while I'm exploring (I generally don't collect much junk, I just rely on my kit for spontaneous things at found crafting benches and scavenge only what I need for specific projects instead of grabbing everything in sight).

Some method of swapping weapon mods in the field would be great. And I'd love to be able to scrap junk away from settlements since I choose not to use them for the most part.