CTD before main menu.. But not always..

adman85

Yes, crashing to desktop before the main menu shows up. It happens sometimes but not always. And it gets more frequent when I have more or certain mods on.

1. It never seems to happen without mods on.

2. I have no official DLC.

3. All of my mods seemed to be working fine but this crash before main menu has been getting more frequent recently.

4. I tried to verify my game cache through steam but it always says 1 file could not be verified, and then says it is downloading.. (but every time I redo the verification process it says the same thing)

5. My most recent mods (the ones I got when this started happening) RadarHUD, Unified HUD project, EVE, Fiendworld. (I tried disabling these one at a time then all at once, but the problem persists, though sometimes less frequently)

6. I do have a lot of mods but many are really basic (less than 1 megabyte, or make very few changes) and as I said, I've never experienced this kind of unpredictable crash before and my mods worked together without issue (or if there was an issue, it was a simple fix, most of the time).

Thanks in advance, and kudos to any helpers, even a link or two to similar forums (recent ones) would help. I did a bit of searching, but I cant find a duplicate problem.

Yeah that was the first thing i checked, all masters are there and line up..

TY for the reply tho :D

you said it is not consistent? can you duplicate it on demand? if not try my A8 test mod and see if the problem stops or gets worse.

Of it continues...it's a steam issue with the server connectivity that causing the CTD. It' the only thing that makes any sense. inconsistent means it's not a mod issue at all, it's outside of that, you said steam is involved. yeah, well, there is lies the issue, if it can not fix a file issue as you stated then there is the problem. What file can it NOT fix? can you obtain that info?

Unfortunately that game stabilizer mod did not fix this problem. (or where u referring to another, if so plz link)

I have tried removing all the steam cache files and revalidating but it says the same thing about 1 file being unvalidated(?) and that it is downloading.. I updated my drivers.. restarted my cpu, tried again and again, but that file wont seem to validate (the problem is I don't even know if this is the issue).

The only way I can successfully replicate the crash (90% of the time) is if i have TGs armor mod on, along with my personal modifications to TGs mod. Without these it seems to crash about 50% of the time.

I've disabled steam cloud and community access to the game. But the crash still happens when that little steam box is supposed to pop up in the bottom right corner (it doesnt when i've disabled it obviously) right as the Bethesda logo rolls out

ok then it is a steam issue. hmm stay cool I;ll bring up your issue with some good folks ad we can see about helping you out. Give me the download kink to TG;s mod so I can have a look. your game does run right"? well I looked again, So this is a degrading issue. and only when mods are added. does this downloading api ever finish? and have you obtained the invalidate mod from the nexus? seems to me your missing some support software for the times. emmm perhaps if my cat would shut the H up I could think better , uh a screen shot of the game execuatble location showing me all the files you have now may be in order, a last saved game file too would help a lot.

Thank you for your help.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35740

Thats TGs mod (by the way it was working with others prior to this for some reason disabling it now really helps..)

My drivers updated fine, and after validating files, it says at the bottom of steam that 1 file has been downloaded, though when I click on it it just leads to my new vegas download. Also the download time is very short, only a split second (compared to the validation process which takes a minute or so, I'll get onto those screens and put them in an edit of this post.

Edit, here are two pics of my new vegas file. Is that what u wanted? I noticed I have tonnes of "backup" versions of my mods in my data file from FNVEdit (i'm pretty sure) should I delete the backups? Would it help?

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=16815

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=16816

Also, do you mean a screenshot of my last save, or do u want the actual save file? If so, how would I get it to you? Upload it to the nexus?

And support software? What kind of support software?

Again thank you, I wish I could kudos more, I hope there is a simple fix.

Edited by adman85

These crashes are still happening by the way.. 50% of the time..

I seemed to have confirmed that its MY TGs edit mod that makes it jump to 90% (not TG's original file. my modification of his adds some of his items to leveled lists) But that also may be because I have too many mods?

Like i said earlier most of my mods are really small so is it a matter of numbers? (i.e. should I go through and attempt to compile all my small mods into 1)

Or is it too much clutter in my data file? (do i need to constantly delete the backups made by FNVEdit)

Or anything else that can be thought of?

It's just a really weird crash seeing how its so inconsistent.

Edited by adman85

These crashes are still happening by the way.. 50% of the time..

I seemed to have confirmed that its MY TGs edit mod that makes it jump to 90% (not TG's original file. my modification of his adds some of his items to leveled lists) But that also may be because I have too many mods?

Like i said earlier most of my mods are really small so is it a matter of numbers? (i.e. should I go through and attempt to compile all my small mods into 1)

Or is it too much clutter in my data file? (do i need to constantly delete the backups made by FNVEdit)

Or anything else that can be thought of?

It's just a really weird crash seeing how its so inconsistent.

I am downloading TG's mod to see if that is a problem for you.

I have had similar problems in the past, it got to a point where I had enough so I cut and pasted the mesh/texture/sound ect folders from my install and pasted them to an empty folder so I could uninstall new vegas then redownload it (from steam) and do a complete reinstall. After that I reinstalled the geck, NVSE, and my mods and all has been well since. Also aside from stabilizing my install it seems to run better as well (less junk I would have to guess)