Anything besides 50 to 65 fps is messed up

mingdatang

Lets say I'm getting 30 fps, I would move like a freakin turtle, same for everyone else, even in conversations the NPC lips are extra slow. Only around 60 fps it's all smooth but I dont always get that. When it's above 70 fps, the lip sync goes off, NPC lips move too fast, and it feels like im sprinting extremely fast. Half of the game Im getting under 50 fps for a mid range computer. Putting V sync on would get my average fps to the 30s but it doesn't go to 120 fps while in conversations and their lips would be done talking way before the voice. I tried with unchecking all my mods in FOMM, still the same thing. I reinstalled drivers and still the same. All my other games work well. I have new vegas but I havent played it in a few months so I dont know about that game.

Specs

Q8300 2.5GHZ

Asus GTX560TI Direct CU II

Corsair 750w psu

getting normal gpu and cpu temps

gpu under full load never goes above 65c in fallout 3 and about 32 to 35c idle

cpu about the same for all 4 cores on full load and about 38c on all 4 cores idle

Game is really frustrating playing like this.

Unfortunately, the game speed is tied to the FPS for some strange reason (to keep the physics synced?)

The fix for this is to go into your Fallout.ini and change the line 'iFPSClamp=0' to: 'iFPSClamp=60' (or whatever your average FPS is.)

Also try changing the line 'iPresentInterval=0' to 'iPresentInterval=1' (assuming you have changed it at some point)

Edited by TheReverendTholomewPlague

Unfortunately, the game speed is tied to the FPS for some strange reason (to keep the physics synced?)

The fix for this is to go into your Fallout.ini and change the line 'iFPSClamp=0' to: 'iFPSClamp=60' (or whatever your average FPS is.)

Also try changing the line 'iPresentInterval=0' to 'iPresentInterval=1' (assuming you have changed it at some point)

I changed it to iFPSClamp=60 already, Ill try changing back to 0

And I don't use FOSE so I can't use the stutter remover.

EDIT:

Changing iFPSClamp to 0 actually worked, I just need to know how can I use FOSE with my steam version of steam so that the gameplay hours are still counting. I tried to replace fose_loader with falloutlauncher, It worked for a few days until the bat file keeps popping up when I tried to launch it.

Edited by mingdatang

The console version is locked at 30fps. TV is locked at 30 fps at 60 Hz (NTSC) in the US and 25 fps at 50 Hz (PAL) in many other countries. Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Movies are shown at about 30 fps. The game is very playable at 25 FPS. The original computer that I played Oblivion on was doing good to get 25fps so I do know exactly what it looks like. Also, Fallout Stutter Remover's default setting is to limit the game to 30 FPS. what you notice at fps above 30 is not the slow down, but the sudden changes in FPS and the jumps from one fps to another.

Studies have shown that the typical person cannot tell the difference between a movie shown at a continuous 30 fps and the same movie at a continuous 60 fps. However they can see that the fps is varying if it changes by more that a few fps in a very short time. So you will probably be better off with a slightly lower FPS that is not making sudden changes.

Try Stutter remover, leave it at 30 to start with and see how it looks. If you think you need more fps than a movie, go ahead and raise it to whatever you want, but expect more problems at the higher settings and with more graphic intensive mods.

Tis better to have a smooth 30 fps than a frame rate that jumps randomly between 40 and 60. So sayeth bben the Elder.

And all who had ears to hear said "Amen."

In seriousness, it's the refresh rate that you need higher than 60... not your calculated fps. Stutter Remover will let you set it to 30 and keep it there, giving scripts and AI more time to calculate and keeping your game running correctly. Overall stability will increase, as well.

Edited by Jeoshua