Need to DOWNGRADE my graphics card?

Ingolfson

Hi everyone. Maybe everyone heard of this problem before (I hope so - then maybe you could suggest a fix ;-) but my graphics card won't run Morrowind.

And I REALLY want to play.

Basically I just bought a new computer. 1800 Mhz, 500 mb Ram, with a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card (128 MB).

And I get that fu***** 'Render Creation Error' (Not Render Creation Failure like it says on the official help page) Message when I try to start the program.

Why, its like in the old days - pray before installing, pray after installing, NEVER rejoice until it is really running.

So can you help me? I patched Morrowind. I installed the newest drivers from Nvidia, and the newest DirectX. I checked that 32-bit colors are activated. Still no game.

What really bugs me is that apparently, its supposed to run fine with a GeForce 4. Am I supposed to go out and buy a Geforce 4 (with only 64 Mb!) just to get this game running? What about compatibility?

Plus I saw another graphics card in the shop that had Morrowind as a packacge bundle. Now thats adding insult to injury!

Sorry for the long rant. Any ideas? I suspect it may have something to do with Direct3D, and I'm not sure if the FX 5200 supports it. My 'Media Center' (sorta the system panel for the graphics card) has it as an option - but greyed out. And there's a menu where I can select/deselect 'Fogtable'-Emulation (if that is what it is called in english).

Help appreciated!

Ingolfson

A few ideas for you...

First, it might be a desktop resolution issue, which could be one of two things, try setting the "color quality" on display properties, settings, to a lower setting if you have it at 32 for example, or try lowering the screen resolution on the same dialog box. Similarly, you might also try changing the resolution of morrowind itself, by running the executable and going to options from the menu screen.

Second, Nvidias last couple of driver releases have had issues, you might try going back to a 45 series driver which was relatively stable.

The 5200 should support morrowind fine, as it is a dx9 card, which means it isn't a direct3d issue unless your dx files are corrupt. You can go under program files/directx/setup and run dxdiag to check that.

Okay. It seems to be the case about Direct3D, since the DxDiag test gives me error messages when testing Direct3D. I guess I will have to see about installing an older driver.

Any ideas WHERE to find it? As far as I know, Nvidia doesn't have them on the site, or do they?

If dxdiag says you have a problem, you might try reinstalling directx first, depending on what is says the problem is. Yu can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/d...ads/default.htm

I found 45.23 here:

http://internationalgamers.com/modules/dow...ewcat.php?cid=3

http://www.3dnews.ru/download/drivers/nvidia/

the second link had them as well, but has a download queue

Archived