How many more downloads?

Candex

Hello...

So I was considering starting to create creatures from scratch. I got Blender, which I need to learn. I got Nifskope, i'm new to all this. Then I need Blender NIF export scripts. I downloaded it: it wouldn't work. I installed PyFFi. Again, it told me that I needed to install another thing called pqt4. When I check this pqt4 out, it says that I need to have SIP installed, whatever that is.

Is this for real or am I looking in the wrong direction? Is there any easier way ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Candex

Downloads? Welcome to the happy world of mod-making.

Don't worry, as far as I know you are getting close for THIS tool. But every tool you use will have its own requirements - just bite the bullet and download them as needed.

<br />Downloads? Welcome to the happy world of mod-making. />Don't worry, as far as I know you are getting close for THIS tool. But every tool you use will have its own requirements - just bite the bullet and download them as needed.<br />

Wow that was a fast reply Mark. By the way I'm learning on how to retexture if I ever get those gimp plugins working. I think you got my accidental post saying only hello... I'm sorry.... so you say it is true, I actually need to download and install all that stuff to get somewhere?

And by the way, what am I installing in my computer? I got a rough idea of what python does, but from pyffi, pqt4 and the rest...? Anyone that can explain in a few small simple words?

Edited by Candex

Python is the workhorse - it takes scripted commands and does what it is told to do with them. Pyffi is a mesh optimiser which tells Python what to do to change the mesh - hence why it needs Python. Similar things apply for the other downloads.

:sweat:OK so I'm calming down a li'l bit now, and if anything in my installations goes wrong I'll blame you (not really).

I'll pick up my scattered brain pieces and see if I can setup all these tools. :wacko:

Thanks!

You'll also need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) for Pyffi if I recall correctly.

There's a full list of requirements for blender at the download page here.

Sometimes it feels like it's never-ending. I VERY strongly suggest backing the whole shebang up on a DVD once you've downloaded it, in case you ever need to re-install.

uh I see... if it gets working... I dowloaded SIP and I am at loss completely on how to install it, or build it up, I dont even know which is the proper term.

About the MSvcRedist, how do I know if it's installed alredy? The name does ring a bell, however I don't remember installing it. If blender is running alright then is it installed?

EDIT: Nevermind with the VisualC, I got like three versions installed, or so says my control panel. Still need help with the SIP. :wallbash:

Edited by Candex

It sounds like it's probably already installed. Look under Programs in the Control Panel and it should be in with the other Microsoft junk.

SIP I'm not sure about - it's not listed as part of the Blender install on http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12248. If you can wait about 4 1/2 hours I'll be at home and can try to help you work through it.

Your profile says you have a 15" monitor. I suggest you look to see whether you have a local branch of Freecycle.org, and join - then watch out for larger monitors. I managed to obtain a (free) 21" pro quality CRT monitor through them. Once you start doing any graphics work you'll get eyestrain and migranes otherwise.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

<br>It sounds like it's probably already installed. Look under Programs in the Control Panel and it should be in with the other Microsoft junk.<br><br>SIP I'm not sure about - it's not listed as part of the Blender install on <a href="http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12248." class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">http://www.tesnexus....e.php?id=12248.</a> If you can wait about 4 1/2 hours I'll be at home and can try to help you work through it.<br>

I can probably wait half an hour, but I am not sure- I'm getting tired, it's like 2:00 am here. About SIP, I know it's not listed, this is how I got to it:<br>Installed the Blender_Nif_scripts, and (after telling me to install pyffi) the QSkope icon appeared on my desktop. I clicked it, and the (console?) window that popped up said that it could not be run becaus I still neede to install PQt4 (and then a <a href="http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">link</a>). I went there and it clearly says, that before installing pqt4 I need SIP. Soooo I went for SIP, downloaded it, extracted it and stared blankly. I had no idea it would get this hard.... unless... Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Also scrolling thru the blender install page taht you linked, pqt4 it's not mentioned either. Maybe I'm overdoing something here and I'm doing some stupid thing, like..., i don't know. I was sort of surprised when I found out I still needed to install two more things (sip and pqt4) I will look at things with fresher eyes tomorrow, although any light shed will be appreciated.

I guess that I will learn 3d modeling and animation, in fact i can get started right now with what I already have. I was just hoping I could 'see' my stuff in-game. If that is not possible now, I can live with it.

And I will also take a look at freecycle, I had no idea of that existing! You're amazing. 2nd Edit: this post editor behaves really odd, whenever I edit something it gets funny. Sorry for any 'br' s.

Edited by Candex

As far as I can see, PQt4 and SIP are development plugins, and you shouldn't need them unless you are doing some serious coding. If that is NOT the case, then I'll grab the same downloads and try and work it out for you in little baby steps ... it's all good practice :)