Mage characters?

Lehcar

I read through all the posts here, but didn't see anyone mention my preferred combination, so here it is: heavy armor and touch-based destruction spells. You'll need to increase your strength and endurance to wear heavy armor and survive in close combat, so your magicka pool won't be as big at low levels, but touch spells are cheaper. Give your spells a 10' radius, and you'll be able to hit everything in melee range of you with a single spell (and it will still be cheaper than a ranged spell!). I also choose restoration, alteration, and block. The last two can be filled in with whatever you prefer, but I usually pick illusion and athletics.

Such a combination can prove weak against other spellcasters, but if you make your character a Breton, and collect a few items with resist magic, you'll go from being easy prey for mages to being a mage-killer.

Alternately, you can drop heavy armor and block in favor of sneak and either light armor or acrobatics, and play a stealthy mage, which can also be fun.

In either case, Supreme Magicka plus Enhanced Hotkeys will greatly improve your experience as a mage.