Can't access FalloutNV.exe

Virtuell

My antivirus thought the last update was a virus and placed falloutNV.exe in quarantine.

Now whenever I try to launch the game via Steam I get an error message saying that the game is not installed, and when I try to launch using FOMM/NVSE I get a message saying "Can't find falloutNV.exe".

I have tried restoring the file from quarantine and reinstalling both the game(several times) and steam. I can see the file in "C:\Program\Steam\SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas" so It's not missing, but for some reason I cant't access it.

What Antivirus?

As we have not seen a rash of this complaint, I am a little suspicious of this. Is it possible something has corrupted your file? Be sure you are the system admin when trying to remove something from quarantine. And that you have the proper permissions also.

I use Eset NOD32 antivirus, but I haven't updated it in a year.

I have removed the file from quarantine but the antivirus keeps saying that the file is infected with "unknown CRYPT.WIN32 virus", even after I reinstall the game.

If you haven't updated your AV in a year, you might as well uninstall it anyway as it cannot catch most of the popular viruses that are currently trashing systems. Currently, the highest rated FREE AV is the Microsoft Security Essentials AV

Download it directly from the MS site to be sure you get the real thing. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx Highly recommended by people who normally don't like Microsoft. :thumbsup:

I like Avast a lot. You might also think of AVG (have had problems) and Malwarebytes (my active file scanner, don't use it passively personally). Anyway, no matter how you put it, bben is right. You might as well not have it if it's causing problems and it's so old.

Aha, so it turned out that was my problem too.

I use Avast, and I'd never known it to quarantine files without notifying me first.

Once I restored the file game ran fine.

So I'll apologize to Steam for the string of expletives this time, I'm sure it will earn them again soon enough though.

The Avast database was a tad old. Apparently I last updated it in Feb.

The new DB is not flagging the file as a suspicious.