Any ideas for my first mod?

JackePacke

Okay, so I finally got the CS to work, and I'm ready to begin modding. I've had an idea of a mod that adds a village somewhere around the Imperial City. There are three houses in the village, with argonians males (2) and argonian females (1) living in them, there is also a lord/count living there, but he is cruel to the villagers, and this is where the quest comes in.

I am working on the full quest dialoge, because it's supposed to be a fairly long quest, where the goal is to kill the count and save the villagers. Question is, will this be sto hard for a beginner modder? If anyone here might be able to help me, then sure!

Contact me on skype: Jackepackex

MSN: [email protected]

Or just send me a PM here.

The mod you suggest has two sections, which require two different sets of skills. On the one hand, there is the scripting and related work for the characters. On the other there is the 3D modelling, and village placement, including checking compatibility with major mods such as Better Cities and Unique Landscapes. You also need to integrate it with the rest of Cyrodiil - what bounty would you get on your head if you kill a count? Sooner or later someone will demand a reckoning if you are traceable.

Pick whichever of these you are less certain about, and start with a more simple project in that area alone, just to get the feel of it.

If you want a relatively scripting based idea, I have one up my sleeve - using two or three existing characters from the Imperial City, and a Daedric Prince or two.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I started getting back into Oblivion as soon as I heard a new Elder Scrolls game was on it's way.

I've not been modding that long but I've tried my hand at a few things. I started off with 3d modelling which isn't the easiest thing to jump straight into and texturing. But I find the tutorials out there for them really solid and easy to follow so you can learn a lot. But most recently I've been working on a castle mod, my vision is to have it go all the way up the hillside, like a Minas Tirith style citadel.

Obviously it hasn't got that far yet but I've just finished my first quest which involves you picking up the quest. heading up the mountain, rendezvous with a scout party. helping them cull a vampire hideout in the lookout tower, if they survive they will help you kill a nemesis giant land dreugh on a bridge. now depending on who of the scouting party survive, you go back to the quest giver and he will reward you accordingly. Granting you a new faction title, access to the smithy and horses outside. I plan on introducing you to the smithy now and send you off to find some raw materials so he can craft you an item, a new one.

The quest contains lots of dialogue, and if the leader of the scout party dies, you have to encourage the rest of them to fight, which depends on your disposition. I literally walked straight into this without having any knowledge whatsoever on scripting, but when you look at it closely, it's just really basic, step by step, ifs, buts, commands blah blah. It takes a lot of time to actually understand what things you need in a script and where to put the script to achieve the aims you have.

I just thought it would be good to throw a few ideas around. If you come up with some kind of character script/background of some npcs you want to add, then look at where you want them to come into the quest, will anyone help you as accomplices? Things like that. I take it the actual death of the count would be the climax but how are you going to build on that and even build up to that.

I find the best motivation for modding is inspiration, have a look around, see what you want to include in your mod then pull it apart, see how it works.

Mark: He's not actually supposed to be a count, just something like a Noble man with a lot of influence on the villagers. And since you're helping the villagers get rid of the count/noble/whatsoever he is, they wouldn't report it to the guards or anything, seeing it all realistic.

Anyway, I'm gonna make up a mindmap with ideas and stuff, and get all this clear.

Edited by JackePacke