Help: How can I tell if OBGE is working?

I've never used OBGE before, but I've read the install manual and am pretty good at following instructions and excellent at troubleshooting. I'm just not sure what to look for in this case.

When I start up a game, brand new or from a save, I haven't noticed any indication that OBGE is doing anything.

I followed the installation instructions in the readme for OBGEv3. I did notice there was a little variation when it came to using WyreBash, I assume this is because the version of WB in the readme isn't version 293?

So I did the following...

1) Manually launched WB from <oblivion_path>/Mopy/Wyre Bash.exe

2) Clicked the "Installers" tab

3) Dragged the OBGE archive into the window.

4) Right-clicked and "install"ed it. There was no error about "OBGEv3.dll" as indicated in the OBGE readme.

After supposedly installing OBGE, I installed the "OBGE_Liquid_Water-37825" mod. I ensured it was "checked" in OBModManager.

I ran the game (by launching the game from the obse shortcut, per that mod's instructions). But once I start up the game, I can't tell if anything is working. In fact the water around the Imperial City (above and below the water surface) still looks like vanilla crap.

Also, not sure if it should be visible in the OBMM list, but OBGEv3 isn't listed anywhere but in the "installer" tab in WB

Can anyone lend any advice?

System Specs

--------------------

DirectX: 11 & 9.0c (both versions been installed for months, as far as I've learned v11 doesn't contain 9.0c files)

Ob: Game of the Year Edition (retail), Shivering Isles, v.1.2.0416

OBGE: v3

OBSE: 20

The only other mods I currently have installed are:

Alternate Start V1-66-11495

Francescos_leveled_creatures_items_mod_4.5b-2518

Unofficial Oblivion patch

Unofficial SI patch

If anyone can help at all, that'd be terrific because I'm trying to get Oblivion up and running systematically (e.g. not loading up 100,000 different mods all at once and then wondering why the entire world crashes!) :)

And I'd really like to play soon. ;) haha

Did you install the OBGEv3.0.1?

OBGE Liquid installs a plugin. Is that in your data folder?

OBMM and Wrye Bash are very different. OBMM can't see the packages in BAIN, in Bash's Installers tab. Which are you using to install OBGE and which are you using to install OBGE Liquid? I think it would be simplest to install them both from BAIN, but I need to understand how you are using each tool first.

--Tomlong54210

Thanks for your help Tomlong! Let me answer your questions....

OBGE Liquid installs a plugin. Is that in your data folder?

I believe so. I extracted all of the Liquid files from the archive into the Data folder for Oblivion: various subdirectories and of course the "OBGE - Liquid Water.esp" file.

Which are you using to install OBGE and which are you using to install OBGE Liquid?

I installed OBGE through Bain, per the method listed in my original post since I was unable to duplicate the "install instructions" listed in OBGEv3's readme file because there seemed to be a discrepancy in Bain's layout (v298) from what the readme assumed.

OBGE Liquid was installed through OBMM because (1) I already exited Bain by the time I was starting to install Liquid. And (2) because it seemed all I had to do (after copying Liquid's .ESP and applicable subdirectories into the Data folder) was check the box next to Liquid's entry in OBMM.

Let me know if I can clear anything else up. Thanks a ton Tomlong!

How about I list my installed files for you, and you can check your file list against mine. I only have the core and the basics from Liquid installed. Also, I'll post the settings in my OBGE INI file (located in My Games) because I think I was recommended a change or two to work around a problem I had with the v3 upgrade. I haven't modified my Liquid files.

OBGE - Liquid v2.0.0

OBGE - Liquid Water.esp
Docs\OBGE Liquid Water ReadMe.html
INI Tweaks\OBGE Liquid Water, Full Reflections [Oblivion].ini
INI Tweaks\OBGE Liquid Water, ~Default Reflections [Oblivion].ini
Shaders\Water.fx
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Water.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Aichan Prison.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Atatar Loria.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Beneath the Bloodworks.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Blood.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Boreal Stone Cave.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Bravil Wizard's Grotto.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Bravil.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Brellach, Font of Rebirth.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Brittlerock Lower Passages.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Captain's Quarters.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Ceyatatar Gorigarlas.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Ceyatatar.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Cheydinhal.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Crayfish Cave.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Crayfish Soggy Bottom.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Crayfish Steep.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Cylarne, Underdeep.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Deepscorn Cloister.ini
Shaders\Liquid Water Settings\Unique\Deepscorn Hollow.ini

OBGE v3 Core (v3.0.1)

Docs\OBGEv3 ReadMe.html
OBSE\Plugins\OBGEv2.dll
Shaders\TransferZ.fx
Shaders\includes\Depth.hlsl
Shaders\includes\Random.hlsl
Shaders\override\COPYQUAD.pso.hlsl
Shaders\override\COPYQUAD.vso.hlsl
Shaders\override\IDENTIFY.pso.hlsl
Shaders\override\includes\Depth.hlsl
Textures\shaders\unbound.dds

OBGE.ini:

[DepthBuffer]
bUseDepthBuffer=1
bUseRAWZfix=1
[Effects]
bUseEffectList=1
sEffectDirectory=data\shaders\
sEffectListFile=data\shaders\shaderlist.txt
bUseLegacyCompiler=0
bOptimize=0
bRenderHalfScreen=0
bPurgeOnNewGame=0
bNoShadersInMenus=0
bTailEffects=0
[screenBuffers]
iBufferTexturesNumBits=0
iBufferRawZDepthNumBits=0
iReflectionMapSize=0
iWaterHeightMapSize=0
iWaterDisplacementMapSize=0
iAutoGenerateMipMaps=2
iBufferZDepthNumBits=0
[serialization]
bSaveData=1
bLoadData=1
[PluginInterOp]
bEnableInterOp=0
[General]
bEnabled=1
[shaders]
bUseShaderOverride=1
bUseLegacyCompiler=0
bSaveShaderOverride=1
bCompileSources=0
bRuntimeSources=0
bOptimize=0
bMaximumSM=0
bUpgradeSM1X=0
sShaderOverrideDirectory=data\shaders\override\
[Textures]
bPurgeOnNewGame=0

--Tomlong54210

Okay, for the OBGE v3 Core, I'm missing the entry for OBSE\Plugins\OBGEv2.dll

For OBGE Liquid: I have all the entries plus more from what was listed in your post. For a total of 117 files in the "Liquid Water Settings/Unique" location.

I just took a look at my obse.log in the Oblivion directory and found this entry which might show my problem is with OBSE instead.... ????? Still not sure what it means though.

OBSE: initialize (version = 20.6 010201A0)
oblivion root = C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\
plugin directory = C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\
patched

Namely, I *don't* have a ...\Data\OBSE\... folder.

Edited by toastysquirrel

Are you serious? You have to create it, ha-ha. Actually, OBMM would do that for you if it were installing things properly. You kind of don't have OBGE installed right now. You need to put the main file, OBGEv2.dll in OBSE\Plugins.

--Tomlong54210

Are you serious? You have to create it, ha-ha. Actually, OBMM would do that for you if it were installing things properly. You kind of don't have OBGE installed right now. You need to put the main file, OBGEv2.dll in OBSE\Plugins.

--Tomlong54210

Ha! That's great. I thought Bain would have installed it for me (since that was I used to install OBGE). I've seen the obse/plugins folder in the OBGE zipped archive. Where does that go, in OB's "data" folder? lol, anything else I need to copy over while I'm at it?

I tried and copied the OBSE\Plugins folder over, then when I tried to start the game via the obse_loader.exe I received -- for the first time ever -- a message saying that "d3dx9_31.dll" was not found on my computer. I noticed OBGE has that file in the "Extras" folder. What do I do with that? :)

Edited by toastysquirrel

Oh, you have to make sure to right-click on the 'Package' header in the Installers tab and make sure 'Skip OBSE Plugins' is unchecked. BAIN would install it for you. You don't need the Extras folder unless you want it. If you got that DLL error, you need to make sure you have the DirectX 9.0c update installed.

I'll need to add that error, but I'm pretty sure it's related to this: http://tescosi.com/wiki/PCS:Error:d3dx9_27.dll_not_found

--Tomlong54210

Edit: Please, let me know if that fix works because then I can quickly get a page up for that error (and probably redirect to the one I just linked).

Oh, you have to make sure to right-click on the 'Package' header in the Installers tab and make sure 'Skip OBSE Plugins' is unchecked. BAIN would install it for you. You don't need the Extras folder unless you want it. If you got that DLL error, you need to make sure you have the DirectX 9.0c update installed.

I'll need to add that error, but I'm pretty sure it's related to this: http://tescosi.com/wiki/PCS:Error:d3dx9_27.dll_not_found

--Tomlong54210

Edit: Please, let me know if that fix works because then I can quickly get a page up for that error (and probably redirect to the one I just linked).

I installed DirectX from the link and the .dll error has vanished. I'm making progress, but still not there yet.

I uninstalled, deleted, then re-added OBGE into Bain. I right-clicked the package but do not see the "Skip OBSE Plugins" option. Here's a screenshot .....

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7070/obge.jpg

At this point, when I start Oblivion through the obse_loader. I get the Bethesda load screen, then it progresses to the map splash-screen.... then that's it. The map pans by on a loop without any hope of continuing. It's strange :P I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get out of it. The game still loads up fine from running the game regularly.... of course OBSE/OBGE isn't enabled.

Edited by toastysquirrel

Wow, weird... Oh, you're using the stand-alone version. Hmmm... Oh, you need to right-click on the 'Package' header, not the package itself. I need to see your load order to say something about the Map Loop thing. Are you using DarN UI?

--Tomlong54210