Help: How can I tell if OBGE is working?

Wow, I'm confused... Don't use Bash and OBMM to control your load order. You'll just end up messing it up randomly. In OBMM's settings you can check don't modify the load order or something like that. Check it. In Bash, right-click on the 'File' header and choose 'Lock Times'. That will prevent other programs from messing with your load order (which often happens when you install mods through OBMM).

Secondly, your install order and your load order are very, very different. Package order in BAIN is install order. Just, don't confuse those concepts. It won't help anyone.

KT_CustomRaceFix.esp <-- contained in the UOP, remove it

I don't know what OBMM's sort order thing is, but it doesn't sound useful...

How are you changing your video setting? It is really weird for changing something there to cause a hang. What are you changing specifically? That sound really odd...

--Tomlong54210

Interesting, I"ll check out the deal with the load order shortly. Of course with the new install there really isn't anything to sort. :)

As for the Video settings, I'm changing those from the Ob Main Menu->Options->Video . As for what I'm changing, pretty much everything. :) Resolution is set to 1024x768, most shadows are enabled, draw distance and shadow effects are turned up (but not maxed) and Anti-alias is set to x8, which of course disabled HDR (not sure what that is).

Something interesting to mention: I just tried something different.....

- Uninstalled OBGEv3, deleted from BAIN's list
- Renamed Oblivion directory in "documents"
- Launched obse_launcher.exe (no map-loop, as expected)
- Changed video settings.
- Exit to desktop
- Launched obse_launcher.exe.... and no map-loop.  Didn't expect that.

Except I forgot to install OBGEv3.... So I installed it and sure enough.... map-loop! Bah! :P

So....

- Uninstalled OBGEv3, deleted from BAIN's list
- Renamed Oblivion directory in "documents"
- Launched obse_launcher.exe (no map-loop, as expected)
- Exit to desktop
- Install OBGEv3
*Received message*
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "basher.pyo", line 8238, in Execute
 File "basher.pyo", line 3338, in RefreshUIMods
 File "basher.pyo", line 2173, in RefreshUI
 File "basher.pyo", line 2158, in GetChoice
KeyError: 'Oblivion.ini'
- Launch obse_lancher.exe (no map-loop)
- Exit to desktop
- Launch obse_lancher.exe (no map-loop)
- Changed video settings.
- Exit to desktop
- Launched obse_launcher.exe.... MAP-LOOP.

Whew.... any thoughts on all that? :P

What was that key error about? After you installed OBGE v3.0.1 did you see the OBGE.ini in the My Games\Oblivion folder? OBGE Liquid v2 depends on OBGE working correctly, so maybe you should check out that error first. Also, I don't see the step where you installed OBGE Liquid?

Try changing one video setting at a time, and don't enable AA through Oblivion. Use your graphics card's control panel. ATI CCC for ATI cards. It's very easy to change AA settings.

--Tomlong54210

What was that key error about? After you installed OBGE v3.0.1 did you see the OBGE.ini in the My Games\Oblivion folder? OBGE Liquid v2 depends on OBGE working correctly, so maybe you should check out that error first. Also, I don't see the step where you installed OBGE Liquid?

Try changing one video setting at a time, and don't enable AA through Oblivion. Use your graphics card's control panel. ATI CCC for ATI cards. It's very easy to change AA settings.

--Tomlong54210

I'll look into the above shortly. :)

But so far I haven't bothered install anything OBGE/OBSE related (e.g. no other mods) other than those two core components (obgev3 & obse_20). I have tried Liquid yet, I figured I'd make sure Oblivion worked first with the basics, then add the other mods (i.e. Liquid, Deadly Reflexes, Natural Weather, etc, etc).

It would appear that the "Anti-Alias" setting was the culprit! Took all week to figure it out and ultimately it was a simple setting. Thanks for you suggestion to no configure that option from within Oblivion.

Running the OBSE_launcher.exe now launches the game without any apparent bumps. I've since installed several other mods (most are prerequisites to DR6), including Deadly Reflexes v6 and so far haven't had an issue. Granted I've only been testing them out for a few hours, but those few hours have been seamless.

Thanks again TomLong, I think I can mark this as "solved". I've even started to work on some manual load orders, just in case. I followed that link you mentioned earlier. Let me know (if you want) if there's anything special I should keep in mind when it comes to load orders.

Thanks again man!

That sounds great. Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but I'm always patrolling around here and giving out advice on that topic, ha-ha. Hopefully, your modding will go well, and it will be a while, if ever, before you hear any of my LO spiel again.

Happy gaming!

--Tomlong54210

• 4 weeks later...
I'm happy...and not to happy to report that anti-aliasing is indeed the culprit with the map loop bug. I still want to use anti-aliasing for screenshots, so has anyone found a fix for this while keeping anti-aliasing turned on?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have recently installed Oblivion and OBGE. I would like to use cell shading, but it does not work for me. I have edited the shaderlist.txt and other shaders are working just fine. Any suggestions what should I do to make it work? Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, you have to make sure to right-click on the 'Package' header in the Installers tab and make sure 'Skip OBSE Plugins' is unchecked. BAIN would install it for you. You don't need the Extras folder unless you want it. If you got that DLL error, you need to make sure you have the DirectX 9.0c update installed.

I'll need to add that error, but I'm pretty sure it's related to this: http://tescosi.com/wiki/PCS:Error:d3dx9_27.dll_not_found

--Tomlong54210

Edit: Please, let me know if that fix works because then I can quickly get a page up for that error (and probably redirect to the one I just linked).

Right so thats what I did wrong. Thanks tomlong. I had the checkmark for Skip OBSE plugins during install. I think wyre bash has that set as default upon installation. You may want to make note of this in the readme installation instructions. Without this post, or the readme's alarm of a dll install request, I'd have never known the difference or what I'd be doing wrong. Indeed, i checked data/OBSE/plugins and i did not have the dll after install. I'm sure other people will run into this error... as i recall i think wyre bash initial config instructions recommend that be skip OBSE plugins be checked (because wyre bash doesn't like scripting or something i think?)

thanks for pointing that out. it installed correctly asking me for dll install permission :thumbsup: