Source of Red Triangles?

drakeelvin

I think I saw a post about this past week but I could not find the thread again and not sure if it was the same thing. I'm running standard NV 1.4, no mods, no DLC, no NVSE, and when I got to Novac I see 2 red triangles in the courtyard. Also experienced a lot of game graphics stutter and crashing when approaching Novac from the south -- no idea if its related.

Here's what I see.

Seeing Red

Anyone have an idea as to the cause and / or solution?

Thanks!

Until I got to this stage (i.e. entering Novac) the game has been smooth graphically, and rock solid stable.

Edited by drakeelvin

The red !s are typically a sign of a missing texture file, so it's odd to have them appear in a vanilla game...and I can't think of what textures are missing in your picture. Did you clean out mods to make the game vanilla again? Have you tried using the console?

Started from a vanilla 1.3 data folder but I did have a glitch during the install when my network went offline but it resumed later on and Steam claims all the files are verified. Novac was the first problem I've encountered. I wonder now if the local cache verify is even reliable, maybe the thing to do is to try to force it to update again from my 1.3.

I'll take a look at those files again.

Thanks for the replies.

Well I wiped my game entirely and reinstalled from DVD and updated on Steam and the problem is fixed. It might have been an ini file in the end, idk, The reinstall didn't take all that long. I'll run a diff on the new one vs one I saved before reinstall ... maybe I'll learn a new trick. Thanks you all!