Transfer old Oblivion Install to New PC? with mods?

It has been 2 years since I played Oblivion and never finished the main quest or made it to Shivering Isles.

I saved my folder to an external drive, with Data, BSAs and everything.

So maybe as a way to bridge into Skyrim after I'm done with FO3, I thought maybe I'd continue it.

However, I'm not sure if the fact I used OBMM to install some mods would prevent my plan.

My plan would be to install Oblivion and then Shivering Isles.

Then take my game/data folder and overwrite anything in the new install.

Then dump about 10 saves in my user games folder.

Then reinstall OBMM?

If you have any ideas let me know.

Edited by monster0mash

I'd suggest installing Oblivion and Shivering Isles to C:\Games\Oblivion NOT to C:\Program Files (to avoid UAC problems assuming it's Vista or Win7 based), then OBMM and any other utility programs such as Wrye Bash. Basically anything that uses the registry, needs to be installed from scratch.

Your general idea MIGHT work ok, but...

Oblivion.ini is going to need to be totally regenerated from scratch to use your new hardware.

Once shivering Isles is installed, check you are at version 1.2.0416 - if not, download the Shivering Isles patch ONLY and apply it. Do NOT apply the Oblivion patch unless you are NOT going to use Shivering Islers.

All mods need to be deactivated and added one by one using OBMM.

Many mods may have updates which fix bugs - I'd suggest downloading them and updating them.

Remember to apply the Unofficial Oblivion, Shivering Isles and Official Mods patches as appropriate.

I'd suggest installing Oblivion and Shivering Isles to C:\Games\Oblivion NOT to C:\Program Files (to avoid UAC problems assuming it's Vista or Win7 based), then OBMM and any other utility programs such as Wrye Bash. Basically anything that uses the registry, needs to be installed from scratch.

Your general idea MIGHT work ok, but...

Oblivion.ini is going to need to be totally regenerated from scratch to use your new hardware.

Once shivering Isles is installed, check you are at version 1.2.0416 - if not, download the Shivering Isles patch ONLY and apply it. Do NOT apply the Oblivion patch unless you are NOT going to use Shivering Islers.

All mods need to be deactivated and added one by one using OBMM.

Many mods may have updates which fix bugs - I'd suggest downloading them and updating them.

Remember to apply the Unofficial Oblivion, Shivering Isles and Official Mods patches as appropriate.

Ok thanks, I guess I was hoping it would be easier but I see what you mean.

I think I have many of the mods I installed saved as well in their original .rar or whatever.

I was up to about 30 I think, which isn't that bad but still will take some time.

So I think you mean to load a save clean, all mods turned off, then reactivate-reinstall through OBMM right?

You may get away with loading all the mods first - just insrall Oblivion and get it running first, make a totally fresh save to force the ini file to update, then add the mods. If a mod is missing and you try to load a save it CAN crash if you have a mod-added object in your inventory, or other things of that kind. Worth trying that way first as it could save a fair bit of time - if it doesn't work you only lost a few minutes testing it.

Actually, if you backed up the complete Oblivion directory (not just the Data folder) you should be able to copy the whole thing onto your new machine. Install Oblivion to C:/Games/Oblivion first, then rename your newly installed Oblivion folder to Oblivion.new, and then copy the backed-up folder to C:/Games/Oblivion. The only issue you may run into is if you did not also back up your INI file and you are running mods that depend on INI settings (like Darnified UI).