Don't laugh at my newbie question!

rakesh73

Ok well I'm not a newbie but I'm technically far inferior to most of you guys. I love all the elder scrolls and fallout games. I had a lot of fun modding skyrim through steam as it was so easy to do. I modded fallout 3 and nv via the nexus which was also straightforward using NMM.

I assumed that I would mod fallout 4 (still playing vanilla currently) via the nexus but this whole recent thing about the release of the creation kit and mods available on Bethesda.net has confused me somewhat. Does this work with the nexus? Does it make modding using nexus more complex? Or does it make things better? I don't really get what a creation kit is.

Basically I want lots of mods to try and for it to be easy to do!

Any thoughts welcome, cheers.

The Creation Kit(s), the G.E.C.K., and the Construction Set are the modding tools released by Belthesda to allow for the modding of the game they are released for. They are almost the same main tool used by the developers to make the game. You only need it if you are planning on creating mods yourself. Otherwise, visit the various sites that legally host content for your game, and make your choices from among what they have to offer.

Ok well I'm not a newbie but I'm technically far inferior to most of you guys. I love all the elder scrolls and fallout games. I had a lot of fun modding skyrim through steam as it was so easy to do. I modded fallout 3 and nv via the nexus which was also straightforward using NMM.

I assumed that I would mod fallout 4 (still playing vanilla currently) via the nexus but this whole recent thing about the release of the creation kit and mods available on Bethesda.net has confused me somewhat. Does this work with the nexus? Does it make modding using nexus more complex? Or does it make things better? I don't really get what a creation kit is.

Nexus is a community for modders, with developers and modders making tools to create and modify mods.

The creation kit is a product from the developers of Fallout. Think of it as complimentary to the modding tools users have created.

You can use the tools end users have made, or use the creation kit or both...

User tools can do some things much more easily, the creation kit can do some things that user tools cannot.

FO4Edit for me is much easier to use than the creation kit for most of the modding work I personally do but has limitations which would force me to use the creation kit for some things such as designing a cell (something you enter). Think of user designed tools and the creation kit as complimentary.

I don't believe you are looking to make your own mods, but just use mods? If that's the case you do not need the G.E.C.K. (yes, I know Beth decided to change the name but I prefer the old one :armscrossed: ) Now, if you are just looking to use mods that's different. If you are already familiar with NMM I would keep using that instead of using Beth's .net especially if it's anything like the new forums over their :yucky:

There's no such thing as a Dumb question to start with Pal....Just dumb answers OK? As for the rest, Im in the same boat as you are...