Morrowind wont install!

DrumMachine83

So first off I would like to say I have bought this game a total of 3 times on PC then 2 on Xbox. I let my nephew borrow my computer and then he happen to pirated it to the computer not asking me if it was ok or if I owned it. when I got it back I tried to uninstall it and it wouldn't let me so I just figured I could just install the real version I still had and it indeed up working, the game ran fine. My nephew was telling me about mods I could download to enhance the game and fix the NASTY bugs so I came to you guys. So I first downloaded the Code Patch and it down loaded fine but when I tried to finalize the mods on the list of the patch, it came up with an error (I deleted it so I don't remember what exactly it said) and couldn't find Morrowind. So what I thought was it may have been the pirated one it installed into but I was so mixed up with what one was what I deleted the pirated one in the Add or Remove Programs and tried to uninstall the real one but it would stop half way and when I looked for it in programs it just showed Morrowind with empty folders so I deleted them.So when I go into search and search for any Morrowind files I could have missed I get several come up and when I go to delete them I get an error deleting file or folder and says this: cannot delete files: cannot read from source of disk.

So now when I try to reinstall the game It comes up like this

The game just stops at 68% and then I get a error.

This is what it says:

Component Transfer error

Component: Data Files

File Group: Data Files

File: D:\data2.cab

Error: Data error (cyclic Redundancy check).

Please help, Thanks.

If your original Morrowind executable file has been altered in any way (i.e. pirated or No-CD cracked, or just a legal copy that has been made large-address-aware or patched with a previous version of the MCP) the Morrowind Code Patch will not work.

If you don't have a copy of the original installation files somewhere, you'll probably have to re-install the game again.

As for the problem with re-installing errors, you might want to try running a registry cleaner like CCleaner and then try again. Who knows what that pirated copy might have left behind in your registry...

Edited by Herculine

So I just tested the CD on another computer and it did the same thing on it. So i thought it maybe the CD but I even tried to install oblivion and another game and they all say the same thing! Now I thought it would be my CD drive, but it did the same on the other NEW computer. I don't under stand, I even used ccleaner like you said and it still didn't help. :wallbash: this is all my nephews fault!

Since you're having exactly the same problem on more than one computer with multiple games, I'd almost have to say that it sounds like something is wrong with the disc(s)? But the odds of that happening must be crazy. I'm perplexed.

Are all the computers using the same type of operating system?

So Winzip is not helping. STILL doing it, but when i open the CD, It say Winzip cannot open because it is not in the standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in the mid-1998). the "signature bytes" required by the Microsoft Cab specification are missing. :pinch:

By the way, I got the errors both when I open the CD in the Drive and install. Oh and also, Morrowind DID work last night and this morning. It was only when i decided take both pirate and real copy off to re-install.

Maybe I should reformat?

Virus scan says computer is clean.

Oh boy I been at this ALL day long...... o_O

I'm confused now.

Why are you using archive programs to open the CD?

You should be able to simply drop it into the disc drive and let autorun start the installer. It should practically install itself that way.

That's the thing, I will just drop it in the drive and i click install and it stops at 68% at data2. No matter if it's the normal way, or if i have to open it, it still does it. The thing is no matter what game now, I try to open a zip and it does the same.

Sounds like your Windows InstallShield might have a bug. Have you checked for an update or fix for it? Again, I'd say it sounds like a problem with the disc, but that wouldn't affect every game. It now sounds more like some sort of virus or something.

Well I used Malwarebytes and Avast, both say it is clean. So i ran a repair on winrar and it says The file "??" header is corrupt. what does that mean, virus?

Its just one thing after the other. To think, all I wanted to do is just play Morrowind heh.